• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

40' semi trailer ID? Picture included.

Excuse Me

What might the actual model as it would appear in a TM for this semi trailer? I can find tandem axle units, but have not had any luck with this triple axle.

Also, how is the suspension designed on these? Can an axle be removed without effecting the other axle suspensions, or are all 3 axles sort of tied together in the suspension?
Thanks.Military40ftTrailer1.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M872, only 40' straight bed in inventory IIRC.

Check: Driver's side, the frame rails by the kingpin, should be trailer data plate there. check pass side to. I do not know of any hidden serial numbers.

Excuse Me

Thanks for the very fast replies. The trailer is in Idaho and I am in Oregon. Maybe interested in it, but wanted to find the actual model and look around for info on them before I make the drive. I dont need 3 axles though. But if the trailer is in very good condition, which I think it is, I would like to buy it and remove axles rather than go a long distance for a lesser trailer with 2 axles.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better check the manuals carefully. If memory serves me, the springs on the 3 axles are NOT independent. These are heavy trailers.

TadB

I looked at a bunch of them earlier today. It is an 872. all three axles are tied together. The 871 is a tandem but i'm thinking its only 30 foot long. These are 40.

jatonka

It is almost impossible to move the axles back for the bridge law, and also removing one axle is going nowhere. I had 2 of these M872s and they are the heaviest flatbeds I ever saw. Sold one to a concrete company to haul tanks and manholes, said they didn't care about weight laws, just didn't want to bend it. They still have it, not bent yet. JT

Stonepicker1

Its an older model M872, 34 ton container transporter. I hate the glade hand hook-up on these. They are not fixed solid to the trailer, but hang on a short air hose. Pain to hook the air lines up.

My unit has 120 of the M872A1 / M872A3 / M872A4 34 ton, 3 axle trailers. Let me know if you need some closer pictures.

TM 9-2330-359-14&P might help you out.

DrillerSurplus

Thanks for the very fast replies. The trailer is in Idaho and I am in Oregon. Maybe interested in it, but wanted to find the actual model and look around for info on them before I make the drive. I dont need 3 axles though. But if the trailer is in very good condition, which I think it is, I would like to buy it and remove axles rather than go a long distance for a lesser trailer with 2 axles.

These trailers weigh 18,000+ pounds versus 10,000-11,000 pounds for the typical weight of commercial trailer. This really cuts down on your payload capacity if you need to stay legal. AS Jatonka said in post #7, they are built very stout. We bought one to move heavy loads of steel casing off road and it has held up well. Here is a link to a site that has pretty good summary of various trailers' specs. http://www.military.globetrailers.com/34-ton-bulk-cargo.html

Excuse Me

These trailers weigh 18,000+ pounds versus 10,000-11,000 pounds for the typical weight of commercial trailer. This really cuts down on your payload capacity if you need to stay legal. AS Jatonka said in post #7, they are built very stout. We bought one to move heavy loads of steel casing off road and it has held up well. Here is a link to a site that has pretty good summary of various trailers' specs. http://www.military.globetrailers.com/34-ton-bulk-cargo.html
Holy wow !!! So it might be overloaded hauling a spare tire ?!:) I had no idea it was THAT!! heavy.

I still cant seem to find the TM number listed previously. But I did find Olive Drab has some interesting info on all the model differences.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks