• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

40 sounded like a good round number

91W350

We picked up 40 Bolster Trailers today, only had to haul them about six miles. I planned to put my deuce to work, but we only had one with no flat tires. Some of these were really rough! Three large forklifts kept three tractor trailers busy for about five hours, loading, stacking, binding, unloading, loading... We made a dent in them! Having never messed with one before, I found them kind of interesting. My deuce blends in well at the yard! Glen

Attachments

91W350

Monkey wrenches! These were some rough trailers. We should never be short of small clevises again! Since my deuce was a waste of space, I helped secure loads and messed with the trailers some. They have a metal manual box, not a manual in the bunch! Some of them have pigtails with regular trailer plugs on both ends. Several of those were so rusted in I could not get them loose. One of the truck drivers saw me messing with one and he tried to get it off as well. No such luck. Found several new tires in the spare racks. I hope there are some good ones! Most of the flats had bad weather checking from being flat with a couple of tons of steel on them. I tried some of the adjustable uprights, they need lube! One tail light was hanging by the wires, I flipped it over to look and got buzzed by the yellow jackets inside. They are well built, I will give them that. Glen

91W350

We might be able to make a couple, I think only two had landing gear that was not demolished. Most are folded over and will not latch in the stored position. A couple had little landing disks along side of the dollies to keep them from sinking as easy. I was like a kid in a candy store, they must have over 1000 101 and 116 trailers there. They said they will be selling those, but they will not sell here. Maybe Oklahoma or Texas, they were rebuilding these when the Government pulled the plug. Glen

cornrichard

I need a couple of lunettes if the are not going straight to the shredder. I am working on a tow bar project for a non MV. I hope that is the right term for the ring that hooks to a pintle hitch.

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was like a kid in a candy store, they must have over 1000 101 and 116 trailers there. They said they will be selling those, but they will not sell here. Maybe Oklahoma or Texas, they were rebuilding these when the Government pulled the plug. Glen
Texas and OK is always a good place to sale green steel. :D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ok Glen, how about a pic of one upside down? I'd like to see how the axles look, and how they are attached. I might have a goofy idea that might require me purchasing a set or two from you.

91W350

I am sure we can flip one over for you Chris, the guys at the yard were getting a kick out of my Haspin shirt today. They have a center pivot trunion similar to a deuce, only the axles are anchored on the ends of the springs.

91W350

Ok Glen, how about a pic of one upside down? I'd like to see how the axles look, and how they are attached. I might have a goofy idea that might require me purchasing a set or two from you.
I think we have 168 of these now. I still have failed to flip one for you, but the stack is large and I am sure I can get you all kinds of photos. My apologies Sir! Glen

ABNENGR

Combat Engineer units in Germany used to mount 2.5 Ton truck beds on the bolster trailers all the time. Most had plywood buildups so we could keep the tools and equipment uploaded and secure. Just remember to cut a small hole in the cargo bed so you can check the brake fluid level.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Combat Engineer units in Germany used to mount 2.5 Ton truck beds on the bolster trailers all the time. Most had plywood buildups so we could keep the tools and equipment uploaded and secure. Just remember to cut a small hole in the cargo bed so you can check the brake fluid level.
Thanks for the help ABNENGR, I thought you could.

BlizzardX23

wait...you have 168 trailers??? wtf? And I know its probably not appropriate to ask how much you paid for 40 trailers...

Isn't sad to scrap all that military gear? out of 40...you gotta be able to make at least HALF of them work?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks