• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400 Cummins Big Cam Oil in Coolant

TD25C

I have a 79' M920 with the Cummins 400 Big Cam. After a recent haul I discovered a blackish gray liquid coming out of my radiator overflow. When running It seems that the truck is pumping oil into the cooling system somewhere. When the truck is shut off the oil/water settles back into the oil pan. I realize this could be caused by a number of issues. Any suggestions on how to go about trouble shooting the issue?

Thanks

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, I would check the cooler. If there is a leak the engine is designed to pump oil into the coolant instead of coolant into the oil. I had an m818 with the same basic engine do exactly as you discribed and it was a leaking oil cooler.

Drain the coolant (you have to anyway to get the oil out) then take the lower hose off the cooler on the coolant side, then crank the engine. If oil comes out there is your leak. (Don't run the engine very long.)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drop the pan, pressurize the cooling system with around 17-20 psi and watch where the coolant/water is coming from. if it comes from between the piston and liner, you have pin holes in the liner...poor cooling system maintenance. if it comes from a main bearing, usually #2, it's the oil cooler or the o-rings in the cooler housing. In rare occasions coolant from between the p/l can be a head gasket

TD25C

Thanks for all the advice. I haven't been able to get back in the shop to tear into it.

Last edited:

TD25C

How do I know which line is on the coolant side? Does anyone have a coolant flow chart?

I believe it is a Series I NTC400.

Last edited: