• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400amp alternator

lnwlf2k

I currently have a 200amp alternator with a bearing going bad. I am having a hard time finding one for a decent price. I see that the 400amp alternators run about $400, would I need any mods or parts to install the 400amp? It is on a 2002 M1025A2

fpchief

My local alternator shop replaced the bearings in mine. Cost $80. Take it off and go visit a couple of local shops and I bet you get some good news.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I got to ask... What are you going to do with 400 Amps?

That's a lot of Woopie. You could thaw out all the pipes at once in Ohio this winter.

Supersize that bugger... err burger combo, Jack...., CAMO

Last edited:

JD4044M

Just think of the HP Loss and the size of the Cables! Put 400 amps into your Battery's to charge and see what happens pretty quick. I would change the Bearing if it was me.

lnwlf2k

Will probably change out the bearing if I can find someone local if not found authorized list of people that fix it on niehoff's website, thanks for pointing me to the obvious solution. Guess I got a little power hungry thinking about 400amps

fpchief

Will probably change out the bearing if I can find someone local if not found authorized list of people that fix it on niehoff's website, thanks for pointing me to the obvious solution. Guess I got a little power hungry thinking about 400amps
I would not really rely on their website. These bearings are not anything special. The shop that did mine normally dont do larger alternators but they said they would take a look. He called me back same afternoon said it was done. $80 is sure better than $1500.

JD4044M

Most bearing have a number on them that is not military. You can use that number to look up the bearing thur manufactures who make them and match it up.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
This guy figured it out.............

IMO, with it off (watching out for toe's or a hernia) hand spin and see what you got. Grinding, sloppy fit-up, bobble- wobble , etc... open it up and become the expert. I'am not sure at this point, but if someone put it together, one can surely take it apart being it's old mechanical stuff. What's make the hobby fun. Not as easy with today's junk.

Measure bearing with caliper or match numbers. Google search P/N or suppliers. Should be straight forward (yea sometimes easier said)

If you drop it off.... Watch carefully their "eye's" You say HumV and they light up with dollar signs. $80 bucks seems reasonable If they have done them before. If it become an paid experiment, I would do it myself. IMO

Don't want to miss out on the fun, CAMO.

GOOD LUCK

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I currently have a 200amp alternator with a bearing going bad. I am having a hard time finding one for a decent price. I see that the 400amp alternators run about $400, would I need any mods or parts to install the 400amp? It is on a 2002 M1025A2
What was the indication that you think its the bearing ?
Did you take off the belt and spin it by hand ?
The back of the 200 amp has a protection shield that if bent will contact rotating part and sounds like grinding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks