• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

40th MVPA CONVENTION Topeka, Kansas - June 25-27, 2015, Coming??

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We're going to be leaving within the hour. Have to drop the dog and cat off at my parent's house, then we're off. I think we're going to split the drive into 2 days, we we'll get a room somewhere tonight. It's 950+ miles one way for us. Not sure we want to do all that in one shot.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We're going to be leaving within the hour. Have to drop the dog and cat off at my parent's house, then we're off. I think we're going to split the drive into 2 days, we we'll get a room somewhere tonight. It's 950+ miles one way for us. Not sure we want to do all that in one shot.
I used to drive straight through to the GA Rally on the northern route, last year for a change drove the southern route and broke it into 2 days, made for a lot nicer trip and no more going through the mountains.

I got up early today to load and now sitting in the house at 9am with a sweat soaked T-shirt, we are having higher than normal humidity for this time of year.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopped for the night outside Denver. We'll hit Cheyenne in the morning for the tires and then be headed east before lunch. Should make Topeka tomorrow evening.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Got to get my XM818 and M146 moved in today and it's parked next to a Het, lights were off today but will get a side by side tomorrow. A nice looking Sherman was being moved in when I got there. Just before I left Clinto and GF had just arrived, so they made the haul without problems. Would have liked to stay and visit but was hitching a ride home and had to go.

iatractor

I'm departing on Wednesday morning after doing some errands here. Staying at a bed and breakfast in Dover. Be at the convention Thursday morning.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We are section 18, tables 1,2 and 3. We're right next to the GovPlanet HMMWV. Everybody come and visit with us - we brought 4 chairs so friends can sit down for a bit with us.

We'll be setting up our vendor space tomorrow morning. At some point tomorrow we have to take one of the cargo cover kits to a truck freight depot to ship to Michigan. Guy bought one on ebay and needs it quicker than she can get it to him if it ships after we get home so we're going to have to ship one of the kits we brought for the convention. But that shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

Come visit!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Woke up in Denver to a flat trailer tire, broken valve stem from either a tight curb or someone that doesn't like trailers. Luckily there was a Discount Tire 2 blocks from the motel and they fixed it for free. The load out in Cheyenne actually went quicker than planned but hit some major traffic coming back through Denver. We were hoping to make Topeka tonight but are instead bedded down in Hays, KS. We'll still be there before noon Wed.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sitting here ready to go. Sam/Pawnshop will be picking me up in about 30 minutes. 20 minutes further up the road, we'll meet up with Scott/Reloader64 and get on the highway headed North.
With luck we'll be bedded down in Topeka by nightfall, and we'll have our noses pressed to the glass at the venue when they unlock the doors in the morning.

See y'all shortly!

Cheers

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We got our tables set up and left for a few hours to ship a cargo cover kit that sold on eBay. We left early and are hanging out in the room a mile from the convention center. We'll be back first thing tomorrow.

The display area for vehicles is small but the vendor area is large. We have enjoyed every convention we've gone to (the fact that we drove almost a thousand miles to come to this should be testament to that) and we have no doubt that the Kansas chapter has put together a AAA+ event.

Lots of Ford GP Jeeps, a GPA, an LVT, Sherman, a gorgeous CCKW closed cab, weasel, the Land Rover fella who posted earlier in this thread, etc. I'll have hundred of pics in a photobucket album I'll post at the end of the event.

Got here about 3:00 PM. Super-8 about 5 miles down the road.

Passed an Iowa "somebody" just North of Topeka - not saying who 'cause they were swerving all over the road and visiting in the cab. :)

I will be wearing my BA-DA BA-DA BING BANG hat. If you see me, say "Hi".

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will get to an MVPA convention some day but we do have 3 local Alberta boys down there. If anyone wants to have some fun, I'll PM their names to you and we can harass them for not being solid members on Steel Soldiers.

One of them is a great big LEO so the pest in me wants to do more but they are such great MV mentors with toys and knowledge beyond belief that I'll save the practical jokes for home......just a little southern ribbing would be fine.

You can also fill their suitcases with G749 parts, just before the flight home. Spark plugs, plug wires....a transmission still in the box. Hope the weather is fabulous and the MV's plentiful for those lucky enough to go. Enjoy and send pictures!

OK. Made it home from the Convention and I just have to tell you this story.

A little bit of background first. I was given a 1945 MB jeep from a Battle of the Bulge First Sergeant. My collection is mostly US military weapons and equipment, but I do own a Mule - and now an MB. I did not know much about the MB and had an "issue" with it. Long story short (probably too late for that now, huh?) - My MB had a CJ windshield on it. I got the correct MB windshield and now have an "extra" CJ windshield that I don't need. Hey, what if I take it to the MVPA National Convention and sell it there? Good idea, huh?

So - I load it in the van and haul it to Topeka, put a sign on my show "bag - bag", and walk around the convention just waiting to sell this valuable piece of military equipment. Nobody wants to buy it. Uh, OK. I know some folks here. I will just give it to them. No thanks, we don't really want it either. This is a complete inner and outer windshield. Sure, the glass is broken, but hey - IT'S FREE! No, thanks anyway.

OK.

Now, it gets interesting. There is this guy (Let's call him "Guy A".) that has some tire pumps for the jeep. I need a tire pump for the MB, because I just bought this new rear seat and it has tire pump mounting brackets. As a side note, he also has some jacks. I need a jack, but we don't talk about that. I knew they were kind of expensive and I have a jack from an M-151 MUTT that will work. Anyway, I buy a tire pump. Those things are kind of expensive, too. He is the last stop before we leave for the day. In fact, we are carrying the day's purchases to the van and stopped to get the tire pump on the way out the door. I make sure the tire pump will fit the mounting brackets on the new rear seat. It fits like a glove and he takes a photo of it just for grins. I think what the heck and ask him if he would like a free windshield for a CJ. Sounds like a good deal to him, so he takes the windshield. No problem. I will bring it back in, when I get all of this stuff hauled to the van.

On the way to the van with - literally - arm loads of stuff (seat, cushions, oil filter, fuel filter, tire pump, safety straps, front bumper, etc, etc, etc), we meet another guy (Let's call him "Guy B".). We are visiting about the convention and having a great conversation on the way to the parking lot. Oddly enough he is parked almost beside us in the parking lot. We get to the van, put the new stuff on the ground, and unload the windshield in preparation to load the new stuff. He sees the windshield - knowing we did not carry it out and asks about it. He wants to buy it. OK - this might be a little touchy, now. I make a very quick decision - - - - and I tell him that I have just now given it to a dealer in the show and am delivering it to him now. I tell him that I will take him - and the windshield - to the dealer and introduce them to each other. He can buy it from the dealer.

So - back into the building and straight to "Guy A". Here is your windshield and - oh, by the way, this guy wants to buy it. I head off back to pick up one last thing for the MB. On the way out for the last time, I run into "Guy B". He has purchased the windshield from "Guy A" and is pleased to have it. He completely understands my position on giving it to "Guy A" and thanks me for my integrity. He mentions that the purchase price would pay for the paint "Guy A" needed to paint his vehicle. We shake hands and all is good.

Now - off to see "Guy A". He is right there by the front door, anyway. I wanted to tell him I did not want to put him on the spot and wanted to see if he was OK with the situation. He also thanks me for my integrity - and the free windshield. Yes, he mentions that now he has the money to paint his vehicle. We shake hands and all is good. I turn to head out the door. He stops me, turns around to his tables, and hands me a jack for my MB! Remember, we don't talk about jacks, when I am buying the tire pump. I have no idea how he knew I wanted a jack! My wife, who was with me the entire time, did not know I wanted a jack - until I told her - on the way out to the van.

Military vehicle folks are just the nicest folks you will ever meet!!!!

Sorry for the long post. I just had to tell the story.

painter paul

Ditto on the nice folks. We got got home. Was pleased to meet Lance who knew all about our M114 being converted to an Air Force radar emitting unit. Thanks all, great show!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks