• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

41 gmc k18 truck

covan3

Now How Do I Figure a value on truck so I can convince the wife I didn't spend too much for truck she says is ugly. I like to say it's different.
I'm more a hot rod guy than a military collector so not sure what the plans are for it. Original idea was modern rv but certainly can't mess up a rare piece of history, it needs to be restored original.

zout

The owner of the K18-C has some great words of wisdom on the "how do i Value it" question. He answered perfectly at his birthday party last weekend to someone asking the same question.

Of all the stuff I looked at to get the C best as I could......I never ran across one of them. That may be rare or I just looked in the wrong place.

I did have serial # build volume but i deleted the info as I had the K finished it. Its on the web....all ya gotta do is locate the onlace you can find it like I did.

zout

Although GMC and Yellow had less than crappy record keeping during these years some info is available but yet difficult to locate.

Yellow is who installed the box but yet another manufacture built the box - and not have seen the F box I would guess its just an extended version like those built for Chevy (see picture) with some identifiable resemelance. HICKS built the body - Yellow installed it. I guess HICKS build this extended version as well to match up to the chassis - see PB's thread and look through it all as there is a factory pic of just the chassis waiting for the box installation in there somewhere. SO many pictures I just do not want to look right now.
HERE is a pic of CHEVY version with a HICKS body on it - not the same but you can see some resemalance to it.

Not sure is your looking for someone to do all the legwork for you or your looking to find out what this is for sure for yourself and see the TRUE value of it & wanting to bring it back to life or dump it for some profit ??? mmu_get_jpeg.jpg

covan3

Zout I appreciate the info. I've been trying to research but not finding much info. I work 14+hrs a day and have limited time during breaks to research. I definitely think truck is cool but since I'm not really a military collector I would consider selling to true collector that could bring truck back to original. I see truck as piece of history and certainly don't want to screw it up. I'm not set on idea of selling it and in no hurry to. Just thought others would enjoy such a rare find.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Now How Do I Figure a value on truck so I can convince the wife I didn't spend too much for truck she says is ugly. I like to say it's different.
I'm more a hot rod guy than a military collector so not sure what the plans are for it. Original idea was modern rv but certainly can't mess up a rare piece of history, it needs to be restored original.
I'm afraid you will have a problem determining a value for your truck and I KNOW you will have trouble getting much reliable info on it...even from folks that were in WWII and that era....been there, got the t-shirt.:driver:

Now...about value. You either have a priceless military vehicle relic, a little known or sought after vehicle that only you will love after spending thousands of dollars, OR...you pretty much have a few hundred dollars worth of scrap metal.

As with pretty much any other vehicle, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it for whatever use they have for it. HOWEVER...there is no base line for these kinds or rare trucks.

Rest assured...unless you find a collector with deep pockets that likes rare/"weird" stuff you will probably never get your investment back from it.

The important thing IMO is to save this stuff if you can and either put whatever you can afford into it or...save it and let someone else finish the job.

zout

Go through PB's entire thread first.
Most any basic question you have is answered and also with the products used. That is how I got to the surface on the K to reveal information without blasting the crap out of it destroying evidence.

Then report back after your eyes are finished bleeding from reading it. Keep your notepad and pen handy to write down products names.