• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

46 vs 53 inch tires on a bobbed deuce?

GPappy

You should post pics of the two sizes next to each other.
I would probably try a 4" lift and if they don't work, put the 46's on and keep trying to sell the 53's. If the exhaust is the only problem I would have then it isn't a big issue as I plan on moving the exhaust behind the cab. I don't plan on using the truck for extreame off road, mostly for working around the farm and maybe for towing my m37 which I do want to do some off roading with.

Attachments

mudguppy

mudguppy, how did you lift it? Is it bobbed or tandem? any pics? steering arm issues?
6" custom lift springs in the front, 6" lift block w/ traction bar in rear. bobbed. pics in 'my albums'. i went full-hydraulic steering: no steering linkage issues and steers w/ 2 fingers while sitting still.

mudguppy

... If the exhaust is the only problem I would have then it isn't a big issue as I plan on moving the exhaust behind the cab. ...
it isn't only exhaust clearance that is an issue - it will be the lower rear corner of the fender to the inside of a turn that will suffer first.

nice wheels.

JasonS

I picked up a set of 53" XZLs this weekend for a good price. Yes, a bit of a lift is needed but it is still very driveable. The front tire rubs on the rear fender brace at full turn. I do not have the stack exhaust. My front springs have a negative arch; what is normal? I have very little suspension travel until the front spring hits the stops.

Attachments

Last edited:

jesusgatos

JasonS-

If you're going to run 53's, you ought to just cut off the front fenders. Yeah, cut them off. Completely. Imagine it would look something like an old fenderless Ford roadster. At least it would eliminate most of your clearance problems...

JasonS

JasonS-

If you're going to run 53's, you ought to just cut off the front fenders. Yeah, cut them off. Completely. Imagine it would look something like an old fenderless Ford roadster. At least it would eliminate most of your clearance problems...
It will either get a lift or I'll trade for smaller tires.

mudguppy

The amount of lift is irrelevant. If the tires don't clear everything at full-compression, they don't fit. Read this.

(and those 53's look ridiculous)
the amount of force it takes to cycle the axle to the previous point of 'full compression' is now completely different with re-arched or taller springs. these new springs (even with similar spring rates as the old ones) will now take much more force to get the axle up to the bump stops.

however, it is a very good point and something that needs consideration. i have looked into lowering my bump stops, but decided to leave them be until after the engine swap (and it sheds some weight). i also plan on re-routing the exhaust at this time and trimming the fender corners.

however, long term, i may end up 4-linking and coil-springing the front...

hemichallenger

I have put 1600s on 4 deuces and lifted all of them 6-10 inches. 2 of them had lds motors and had plenty of power. The ldts needed more fuel. I built the wheels offset so the tires are 101 inches outside and have mounted the power steering box outside the frame and have plenty of clearance. I also widened the fenders so they look factory. I have not had a problem stopping them as far as stock brakes go. I have build a few with 1400s and there is not a lot of differnce.

JasonS

6" custom lift springs in the front, 6" lift block w/ traction bar in rear. bobbed. pics in 'my albums'. i went full-hydraulic steering: no steering linkage issues and steers w/ 2 fingers while sitting still.

Where did you get the custom springs?

92RT-TT

I had my mind set on 53's and bobbing in the future... but I dont really want to lift something like this. Maybe I should just plan to get 46's and just leave it as a 6x6 (at least for awhile).

jollyroger

I had my mind set on 53's and bobbing in the future... but I dont really want to lift something like this. Maybe I should just plan to get 46's and just leave it as a 6x6 (at least for awhile).

395-85R20's. As big as you can bolt onto a stock deuce. They rub a little on the steering. The inner fender louvers are bent up and if you have any clamps on the j pipe make sure the clamps are turned with the treads axay from the tires.

Attachments