• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

46" XL's on a deuce

rizzo

RE: 46" XL

ooops

LUKE said:
This is a 1970 AM GENERAL 6X6 with a 440 MOPAR BIG BLOCK, 727 AUTOMATIC TRANS, DUAL 5" EXHAUST STACKS with FLAME THROWERS
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/redimperial601/100_2711.jpg
here is an update on Lukes dodge 6x6

he added 46" Michelin XL Military tires to the spec list

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/frankrizzo1972/lukewith46s.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/frankrizzo1972/lukewith46s2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/frankrizzo1972/lukewith46s3.jpg

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: 46" XL

cheeeze louize!! how much clearance is there between the rears? I'd be fraid of twisting an axle, but that's really cool!

rizzo

Re: RE: 46" XL

TXSG_19_commo said:
cheeeze louize!! how much clearance is there between the rears? I'd be fraid of twisting an axle, but that's really cool!
2 inches (twice the clearance on my 5tons with 1600's), the deuce has a 48" inch spread.

these tires came off of deuces in the military (or so I'm told)

mudboggers run alot bigger tires than that on deuce axles.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: 46" XL

That looks really cool, I like the exhaust stacks. What tubes would you use for those? Those are the tires I would like to get but I dont want to spend a bunch of money on the rims.

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: RE: 46" XL

Djfreema said:
That looks really cool, I like the exhaust stacks. What tubes would you use for those? Those are the tires I would like to get but I dont want to spend a bunch of money on the rims.
I think they are 4 or 5 inch stacks.

rims are stock

citizensoldier

How they/you do dat?

So these are stock M35 rims, rear hubs flipped,an inner tire removed? What all did you guys do?
I thought by doing this you put to much pressure on the outside wheel bearing because of the offset? Do explain a little if you can. I have been looking for some 135 rims for my M109..

rizzo

Re: How they/you do dat?

citizensoldier said:
So these are stock M35 rims, rear hubs flipped,an inner tire removed? What all did you guys do?
I thought by doing this you put to much pressure on the outside wheel bearing because of the offset? Do explain a little if you can. I have been looking for some 135 rims for my M109..
he didn't flip the rear hubs. I don't think he is worried about the outer bearing. Some other guys have done the same thing, but with smaller tires.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
RE: Re: How they/you do dat?

did you get a chance to see the suspension work as he drove over stuff(did they rub on the bed or in the front fenders?)

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: How they/you do dat?

BFR said:
did you get a chance to see the suspension work as he drove over stuff(did they rub on the bed or in the front fenders?)
the left front tire will rub on the drag link when turned hard right.

he did not drive over anything that would make the rear flex, but we are gonna take it to my bog in the next week and try out the tires. I will have him drive over the hills and watch the flex

sermis

RE: Re: RE: Re: How they/you do dat?

OK Are the 395/85R20's taller than the 15.5/80 20's or are they the same height.
Reading the posts it shows the 395's at 46.7 and 15.5's at 46.
I can't seam to find any other information relating to tire size.

M1075

I have always thought they were the same(~46.6"). Keep in mind that with 1" tread, these tires can vary in diameter significantly. It is tough to measure tenths of an inch.

sermis

I have 2 new 395's and 6 used 15.5's. 15.5 are close to full trad, guessing around 95% without measuring. I was thinking of using the new tires up front and used in the rear on the Duece. Just making sure they are close to the same size. Front axel will not be locked except for off road.
Plan is to bob it and run the extra 2 tires on the 105 behind the duece.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How they/you do dat?

sermis said:
I have 2 new 395's and 6 used 15.5's. 15.5 are close to full trad, guessing around 95% without measuring. I was thinking of using the new tires up front and used in the rear on the Duece. Just making sure they are close to the same size. Front axel will not be locked except for off road.
Plan is to bob it and run the extra 2 tires on the 105 behind the duece.
So if you have both on hand what is the actual diameters of the two different tires? I keep going back on forth on the big tires. They seem like too much, but I want to be able to do 60mph without maxing out the rpms.

rdixiemiller

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How they/you do dat?

I would like a tire that is the same height as an 1100, but would run on a 10" rim. My truck is fast enough as it is, I just want the look of wider tires (mine is singled)

M1075

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How they/you do dat?

rdixiemiller said:
I would like a tire that is the same height as an 1100, but would run on a 10" rim. My truck is fast enough as it is, I just want the look of wider tires (mine is singled)
RD- Have you looked into 14.5R20 Michelin XL tires? Those were used on the M35A3 and are the same diameter as the 1100 but wider. Probably the perfect tire for super singles on a deuce.