• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4a032 ii hp?

citizensoldier

Whats the horsepower of the 4A032 II motor? This is the little apposed 4 banger found on gensets,air compressors,lube trailers and so on.
I am trying to do a conversion to a electric motor and need to get the HP rating and RPM correct..

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one on a welder. It definitely is over 6 HP. Google it and you will find info from guys using them on ultralites. If I remember right they are getting 12 to 18 HP.
Regards Marti

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lane,

I have one in the lube trailer, the military rates it at 6HP at 3600 RPM, but I've seen results in a google search of up toward 20 HP before (since the military under rates the HP output of it's engines).

Keep in mind though, because of the torque characteristics of an electric motor, you probably will not need as large of a motor as you have in the engine...if you replace a 10HP electric motor, you'll want to get at least a 15HP engine because as the load increases an electric motor will create more torque the slower it goes whereas a gasoline engine will only produce torque till you slow the engine down below the maximum torque RPM rating, then the engine will begin to slow way down and stall.

So it's going to be the reverse for an engine to an electric motor, but with the military ratings of their engines, if you got a 6HP electric motor 3600 RPM, you'll probably be good.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lane, you might want to go with at least a 5HP motor.

HP is HP, no matter the source, electric or internal combustion. The difference as I stated above is the torque curve of the different sources. If the load requires 6 HP, it's going to need a 6 HP motor. The only reason you need a higher HP engine is because of the HP to torque curve of the internal combustion engine.

If you can get the 3 HP motor cheap enough, and have use for it later, if it's not big enough for your current project then go for it. If it were me, I would get at least a 5 HP motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks