• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4A032 no spark at all

AMGeneral

Well folks,I am at my wits end with this lube trailer,it does not have any spark at either of the 4 plugs,I have checked the wiring in both control boxes as well as under the coil housing behind the front pulley.

Everything is connected to the corresponding color coded wire (red to red,yellow to yellow) and the right hand coil(viewed from the front) is turned the correct way(upside down).

It is a complete Colt electronic conversion kit,nothing appears to be missing.

Is it possible I have 2 bad coils at the same time?

I looked for the TM here,but it does not appear to be downloaded.

Any thoughts as to what I may be missing?

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I think I might have the engine TM at home, but I'll have to look tomorrow when I am at home. If I do, I'll make sure you get a copy.

AMGeneral

Well,after checking everything over,made sure I had no open circuits and everything was wired properly,still no spark.

I see Saturn carries the whole kit pretty reasonable,i may just order the whole thing, it doesn't look as if mine has the proper front pulley anyway.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is going to sound like a stupid, and absolutely obvious suggestion, but you did make sure the ignition switch is "on" right? Also, did you make sure it's even good (continuity through the switch). I would hate to see you buy new parts if all that was wrong was a bad ignition switch.

AMGeneral

Yep,checked that Sped,Mine actually has a momentary off switch,basically hold it in the OFF position till the engine dies.

I went out after supper and ohmed out both coils again,they both read 360 ohms resistance,the manual calls for a upper limit of 329 ohms,looks like I need 2 coil packs after all.

Grega

Make sure you check for spark without the plugs installed. Heavly fouled plugs will have no spark. I Learned this the hard way. And the pulley is larger on electronic ignition.

AMGeneral

Make certain the pole pieces are not touching the rotary magnet---See if the magnet has two poles & some magnetism. Jerry
Ok,I went out last night and checked this,it definetly has magnetism,but I cannot get a business card between the pole pieces and the magnet itself,If there is an air gap,it is less than.020.

There doesn't appear to be any adjustment between these 2 points though.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Ok,I don't know what I did,but it fixed the problem.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got home this evening and took the carb apart and cleaned it,I had been trying to get someone on the phone all day at Saturn Surplus to order parts for the ing system.

Well,I decided to give it one more try,except this time I loosened the engine and removed the drive belts for the compressor.

After a few seconds of priming and spinning the engine over,it fired!!!!
I checked everything over,hooked the belts back up and ran it for about an hour,I need to do a few governer adjustments to get full engine speed but it builds up to 150 psi with ease and all of the pumps work correctly and pump G/O,E/O and grease!!!

The charging system even works,28.6 volts at high idle!!

Pics and video sat maybe,working out of town the next 2 days.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool.....funny how things just magically fix themselves. Some of the greatest successes I've had working industrial maintenance have been magical fixes just like that...of course I never let that info slip out to the boss....he thinks I'm a "machine whisperer"

jasonjc

Glade to hear it. That will be the next thing on my lube trailer to do list. After I get done over hauling the trailer. It will be time to go thought the "box" and redo all the suff in it. I've got one of those electronic kit's for mine too.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have a lube trailer, and the 4A032 had intermittent spark. Found the problem to be poor ground due to loose bolts on the cover on the front of the engine. Tightened bolts and no trouble since then.

These units are so much easier to work on after you pull the cover off!