• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4a032 What kind of crankcase oil?

max1008

According to the TM it says 30wt for most temps. I stumbled across the LO and it says 15w40. I have never run 15w40 in a gasoline engine so I am second guessing it. Should I stick with standard sae30 to run a 10w30 winter weight?

steelypip

Your engine will be completely happy with 15W40 oil. It'll be OK with 30W (OE30) as well. It was designed to use OE30, but the 15W40 diesel rated oils in the LO are better in every respect and are much nicer to the starter motor and offer better lubricity in cold weather.

The LOs for my diesel generators tell the same story - designed around OE30, LO changed to multigrade some time in the 1980s or early 1990s.

The only reason I would be hesitant to run 15W40 in a gasoline engine would be because it did not carry an S* rating (SE, SF, SG, etc), which indicates suitability for spark ignition (generally gasoline) engines. This generally has to do with the pH buffer package in the oil.

For the record, I run 15W40 (Rotella T in my case) in my vintage motorcycle all the time and in my lawn mowers when that's what I have a fractional container of at change time. No fuss, no problems, no worries.

If you really feel the need to not run 15W40, then run 10W30 all the time - there's no advantage to seasonal changes to HD30. Be careful to stay away from "Energy Conserving" oils, though, as they may not have adequate shear lubricity to deal with the flat (non-roller) lifters on your 4A032.

1800 Diesel

We have four high-mileage Jeep Cherokees in the family and run nothing but 15/40 oil in them....previously used either 10/30 or 10/40 but neither of these seemed to hold up as well....in short order the oil would feel a little better than thick coffee....the 15/40 oil is very stable and does a great job protecting any engine in rough conditions....

Forgot to mention--we also use 15/40 in all gas-powered (air-cooled) generators, pumps, lawnmowers etc...

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used "aviation" type oil in my 4a084, going by the fact that it's an aircooled engine and often used i aircrafts (ultralights).
Probably doesn't matter much, but it made me feel good. :)sae20w-50.jpgsae20w-50 (1).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks