• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4bt in 1009

acesneights1

new issue... the flywheel/ pressure plate on the chevy adaptor set up is forward more than the 6.5 set up.. I am still researching. here what I have going on, the slave cyl. is bottoming out on the rear of the bellhouing. I need to either, wine out the fulcrum ball or get a thicker throw out bearing.. Couple options, bad news I have remove the tranny, there is not flywheel inspection cover like on the SBC..
What trans are you using ?? I thought the 96+ had an internal slave.

acesneights1

BTW you can expect the 5th gear nut to fall off shortly although using a GM NV might help a little if it has the internal harmonic damper. Some do , some don't. Mine does. That little 4 banger with shake that nut right off.

acesneights1

Today I took great pleasure in cutting all the over complicated wiring in the 1009.. thank it imho is a pos...stupid stupid system.. I have reduced it to three wires in the starting system..
1 wire come off the dog head thingy to the S term.
2 I left the ford solenoid came off the term with power on with switch turn to acc.. also it one I power the electric pump with..
btw it 12 volts I don't that it be that hard if you wanted 24 volt cant Imagine why though
It is not complicated at all. It is actually very simple. It is laid out in the TM's . I also got rid of it but for a different reason. I wanted a serpentine belt setup and wanted both batteries as a buffer for my plow pump and winch but there is nothing wrong with the hybrid 12/24 system.

southdave

new issue... the flywheel/ pressure plate on the chevy adaptor set up is forward more than the 6.5 set up.. I am still researching. here what I have going on, the slave cyl. is bottoming out on the rear of the bellhouing. I need to either, wine out the fulcrum ball or get a thicker throw out bearing.. Couple options, bad news I have remove the tranny, there is not flywheel inspection cover like on the SBC..
Ok I have shifting really well, I went with the old stand by of electrical tape a 1/4 drive socket to end of slave cylinder rod, however I think it eating my preasure plate, makes trebible racket and feel like the clutch partially engaded??? I am kind of have mind to run as is til it breaks and fix it then..

deathrowdave

Ok I have shifting really well, I went with the old stand by of electrical tape a 1/4 drive socket to end of slave cylinder rod, however I think it eating my preasure plate, makes trebible racket and feel like the clutch partially engaded??? I am kind of have mind to run as is til it breaks and fix it then..
Not related to your issues , my 4bt in a Dodge is getting 26 MPG the 318 gas got 9 MPG . Hey Gimp , back not much better , just holding my own. Good ole Duke Energy , breakin it off in me ! Stole about 200K in retirement funds after 35 years of employment !

southdave

Not related to your issues , my 4bt in a Dodge is getting 26 MPG the 318 gas got 9 MPG . Hey Gimp , back not much better , just holding my own. Good ole Duke Energy , breakin it off in me ! Stole about 200K in retirement funds after 35 years of employment !
Seems like alot of companies have gone that way... wonder if the MBA who thought of this got his retirement cut, and will we see him at wal mart passing out buggies

southdave

I'm getting ready to drop a 4bt in my 1009.
In my opinion, it was easier than doing humvee engine swap in 1009 adding turbo and all that... I got stupid and let my mind wonder. But if you get agm automatic adaptor (400 Th will bolt directly) figure out motor mounts it fairly simple.. Thank god there no glow plugs.. btw the only thing that 1009 on mine is the fram and body... 4bt ve pump teaked with hx35 motors is about 260 hp. GM nv4500 208 with 14 semi floating rear 3:73
Like said I got stupid with it..slave clutch in still givin me fits need pull it apart and adjust more slip alittle ...

Last edited:

nyoffroad

..slave clutch in still givin me fits need pull it apart and adjust more slip alittle ...
I'm not really sure what your problem is but one time ( yeah only once!) ran into something like this and I made my own adjustable rod that fit into the slave cyl. and the throw out fork. I used a threaded rod coupler and made two ends for it add a couple jam nuts and your all set! IIRC I made slightly shorter than stock when the rods were screwed all the way in, then I had about an 1.5" of adjustment. Hope this helps!

southdave

I'm not really sure what your problem is but one time ( yeah only once!) ran into something like this and I made my own adjustable rod that fit into the slave cyl. and the throw out fork. I used a threaded rod coupler and made two ends for it add a couple jam nuts and your all set! IIRC I made slightly shorter than stock when the rods were screwed all the way in, then I had about an 1.5" of adjustment. Hope this helps!
Thanks .. my issue I think is in throw out bearing and the pivoit arm, I have an adjustible gm type to acomodate the fly wheel thickness. I probably have to shim it out a bit,and crank in the pivot ball and use different fork.. I used all gm nv4500 crap.. way too many different parts.

deathrowdave

HX35 turbo

I ran the big turbo for a bit on my 4Bt . Ended up with a 30 series turbo . HX35 took to long to spool up and didn't seem to make anymore power on the top end than the 30 is now . Look at 4bt stuff on Flee Bay there are a lot of parts and complete motors for sale in Cleves , Oh. I have purchased stuff from this guy . He was great to me, cheap prices .I bought many parts for my conversion from him . I am thinking 80 bucks for a turbo. QUOTE=POWERSTROKEN;1597392]Got a line on any other turbos ?[/QUOTE]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks