• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4L80 Stuck in 2nd Gear

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished a build for Texas A&M and found the transmission is stuck in second gear. This is a 1097 A2. When we first got it the shifter was super hard to shift, but after some WD-40 and a little work, it shifted fine. It will still shift into neutral and reverse, but when you put it into overdrive, it stays in second. I am not a transmission guy, and I realize it may also be the TCM, so hopefully someone here can help a fella out.

Attachments

springer1981

2nd gear is a default limp mode gear. You probably have a power issue to the tcm or a controller problem. Might be a circuit breaker issue or transmission power relay. Mogman will come along shortly and post a troubleshooting guide for you.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2nd gear is a default limp mode gear. You probably have a power issue to the tcm or a controller problem. Might be a circuit breaker issue or transmission power relay. Mogman will come along shortly and post a troubleshooting guide for you.
Damn...that may be good news. Thanx....I will give y'all an update.

Autonomy_Lost

When this happened to mine, it was a broken wire resulting in no power to the TCM. Fixed that and it shifted fine.

Do you have a trans light when in the run position with the engine stopped?

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When this happened to mine, it was a broken wire resulting in no power to the TCM. Fixed that and it shifted fine.

Do you have a trans light when in the run position with the engine stopped?
Lol...my transmission warning light is inoperable...

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the TCM were to be completely disconnected, ie remove all three connectors at the transmission, ie not just lose power but also physically disconnect the connectors.......would it still be able to operate in limp mode??

springer1981

If the TCM were to be completely disconnected, ie remove all three connectors at the transmission, ie not just lose power but also physically disconnect the connectors.......would it still be able to operate in limp mode??
I'm not an expert by any means but when I did my 4L80 conversion I spoke with a TCM manufacture in depth about the operation of the transmission and how the TCM works. My understanding based on that conversation (over a year ago), the transmissions defaults to 2nd gear with loss of control. Since everything else electronic deals with sensors, solenoids and lock up, I get the impression that it would work. The electronics control the shifts and then the lockup. The sensors tell the TCM what's going on to so it knows when to shift.

Park obviously would work, reverse doesn't shift or lock up so I suspect it would work. Drive should default to 2nd but would not shift to any other gears. I think it would work with all the connectors disconnected but that is really no difference than just losing power.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it will operate in 2nd gear only.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you try that without first troubleshooting the problem? If it is a power issue that definitely won't help.
Using the other TCM would hopefully be an option if the TCM that is installed is kaput (lol...after I check to see if I can fix the problem first). I was born 63 years ago, not yesterday. :giggle:

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i had the same some day ago... no error codes an the trans light... checking the lamp it self on a spare set of batterys with 24V... working.
But... behind the passanger Seat is a push-fuse... push and problem solved.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission light isn't on, there are no fuses or "fuse Buttons" to reset. There's nothing behind the passenger seat, the trouble shooting guide must be for a different model, or I'm too old to figure it out. The only wire disconnected (in the battery compartment) is a thick wire that was taped off. This thick wire is in a three wire bundle along with wire 57T and wire 599C. Here's some pics of what I have...
+

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Transmission light isn't on, there are no fuses or "fuse Buttons" to reset. There's nothing behind the passenger seat, the trouble shooting guide must be for a different model, or I'm too old to figure it out. The only wire disconnected (in the battery compartment) is a thick wire that was taped off. This thick wire is in a three wire bundle along with wire 57T and wire 599C. Here's some pics of what I have...
+
It's no fun, but looking at that 4th picture - I think some good old fashioned elbow grease and some anti-oxidizing paste would help. If that looks that way then my guess there are other places that look the same. Disconnecting the battery terminals before you start might be really smart. No need to let the smoke out of your truck for no good reason.

Invest a full weekend. About 16 hours. From bumper to bumper.
A lot of things will be solved with a wire brush or a tooth brush and some cleaner...