• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l80E conversion controller questions

nattieleather

Hi everyone,

I've searched for this anwser for the past hour or so and haven't found what I'm looking for.

The HMMWV when first produced stock had a 3L80 transmission in it which is more or less the TH400 or turbo 400 transmission. Many of you have made the conversion from the 3l80 to the 4L80(E) transmission giving you a fourth gear or overdrive as it is called. I understand the conversion, no problem, but my question is what TCM did you use to control the 4L80E? Was your swap in a stock HMMWV with 24V electrics?

My project truck is a MV that will still keep it's 24V configuration but I'm wanting to run the 4L80E transmission in place of the Th400 that I currently have and I need to figure out how to hook up a control module to make the thing shift properly but still run on 24V.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Joe

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a google search for manual 4L80E. I was looking into this about 6 months ago and found a company who makes a manual valve body for the 4L80E. You will have no need for a controller with it.

nattieleather

Do a google search for manual 4L80E. I was looking into this about 6 months ago and found a company who makes a manual valve body for the 4L80E. You will have no need for a controller with it.
Yes I have found that too, but from what I can tell to have a manual valve body on the automatic transmission one might as well put a manual transmission in. With the manual valve body you have to shift it into second gear then third then forth. It's not really an automatic transmission where you put the vehicle in drive and just drive.

Unless my understanding is wrong on this in which case please correct me, but that was my understanding of the manual valve body.

papaydsailor

what kind of engine are you gonna hook it up with. i got a cummins 4Bt. i converted everything to 12 volts when i upgrade. you have to convert your brakes too or you ganna be changing brake pads all the time.

panzerwillie

I have a manual 4l80E in my HMMWV and yes you have to shift up and down as needed and lock the converter on a switch i mainly only use the OD over 45MHP snd the lock up over 55MPH , the kit i use was trans-g0, using stock valve body however TCI or GM performance {both the same} make a stand along easy to work with and to adjust paremeters, it rquieres a TPS signal ect which you can use the tps from 92-93 6.5 , will probably be doing a 400-4l80 swap on a M1010 with the TCI stand along, also depending on what you are doing may want to cosider a 700R4 build they are pretty good, and there is a adaptor for the 32 apline shaft on the TC because the 700R4 is 27 splind or maybe use i think a NP241 P TC good luck.....

SCRAP

My local trans guy said he wouldn't do a full manual 4l80 . He said without computer it wont last, the said to get a controller. He mentioned that adding a vaccum modulator to control line pressure was inadequate, and trans life will suffer. He says a controller is needed and well worth the expense.

Last edited:

Chief_919

As mentioned, trucks with the 4L80E use a dual output alternator, with the 12v feeding the transmission.

However, I can tell you from experience that you can also run the controller from just one battery. When we were doing a big push to field new M1114's in Afghanistan, dual output alternators were in short supply. So when one went out with put a straight 24v one one, wired the transmission controller to jsut one battery and continued the mission. The drain is not enough to affect battery life.

panzerwillie

Well i did my manual a4L80E over a year ago and 5000miles runs good and shift very firm much better than the 3l80 ever did ,and yes it uses a vacuum pump for increasing shift press, i'm not affraid and pull my M103A2 trailer several times, but like the previus thread put in in D hit the gas yes you need a ECM and yes you can find them around goooooooood luck and keep on trucking:driver:

feldmarshal

I'll chip in as a tech. If it's an E trans. it needs the correct processor ,due to controlling proper line pressure and torque converter lock-up, duty cycle and shift performance, any other mods may shorten the life of the trans greatly. you probably want the trans to last at least 130K. My opinion.

Hasbeen

The Current A M General part number is 12460144-6

this evolved for 4L80E as plain 12460144 (nsn 3010 01 411 8490)
...then dash 1 dash 2 etc. depending on generation and requirement of the transmission. Back when we were researching them the -6 had no nsn assigned (probably does by now)

The -6 is mounted in a protective enclosure and does not have the capability to switch out the e-prom. Some of the earlier tcm`s did have the capability to change the e-prom and did not have the enclosure.
P.M. me if you`d like, and I can take photo`s of the -6 ,and I`ll share what info I have.

Hasbeen

Rhodanish

I used to work on an army depot as a hmmwv mechanic I can't think of one that had a dual voltage alt. they all pulled off of one of the batteries. It's low voltage, it's not like your pulling any substantial amperage

chess

get the little black box from rosler if you dont mind manual shifting. no internal mods required i have one in my m715 i love it... or i have a 91-93 6.5 diesel tcm (transmission control module) with a harness i might sell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks