• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4L80E pan question....

hummer4x4guy

I have a 2000 transmission. I see there is no drain plug on the pan. Does the pan shape vary that much between the years listed in which it calls out a kit pn: 8682888 or is that they simply removed the plug after 1996?
I would prefer a pan with a plug set up myself unless there is a good reason not to have it.
Thanks

Hollypk

As far as I know, a 4L80E should be the same as the next 4L80E. I see a lot of pans where the plug was just never put in but it looks just like a pan with a plug " dimple spot in pan". You could get a junkyard pan and weld your own bung in it. I'm with you, all transmissions should have a drain plug, I would change my fluid every other oil change if that was the case.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a bunch of 4L80E's from take out m1151's....out of 5, only 2 have drain plugs...I change my pans over if they don't have them. My 98 hummer has a drain plug....

86m1028

There is an early version & a late version but I don't remember the year cut.

NOTE: This is in the civilian 4l80's, I don't know what the military did.