• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4L80E Swap ?'s

colt45727

I have a 6.2 m998 and Im currently under way with the conversion and have the TCI controller, trans, drivshafts, and rpm sensor ready, but I do have one last question to ask.

How do you get the throttle postion sensor (tps) to work or make something work on the 6.2?

Ive searched the forum and most people have the 6.5 swap in with the setup, I also called junk yards, GM, etc to see if a civi one would work but they all have the sensors but without the manual pull of the throttle cable.

I was thinking of modding one of the pedals with the sensor to manually pull the throttle cable, but was hoping there might be an easier way of doing things.

Sooo Im lost, and any advice in which way to go would be much appreciated.

colt45727

Thank you for the link, Im a memeber on the G but the search is so **** bad.

We decided to go ahead with what was done on the link..... we were gonna mod an old corvette pedal and have it do both of the sensor and manually pull on the IP.

To answer your question we are building a bracket at the fly wheel for a sensor that will read the amount of teeth on the flywheel and see how fast it spins.

We'll program it into the TCI controller, and build a custom harness for it.

jwaller

if your interested I have the timing cover, and everything to put a stock RPM sensor on your motor. I did the 80E conversion on mine when I did the 6.5 turbo. You will love it, best thing I've done to the truck so far, not including the 6.5T.

bearboley

The rare few civy trucks that where mated to a 4l80e had a oil pump drive with a sensor on it that was used for transmission function with a manual ip. Don't know if this helps you in any way but I threw it out there lol

colt45727

Thanks again for all the great replys, I think we are going to try the flywheel mod because we made the mount for it.

Jwaller, I will keep that in mind and let you know if im interested, and thank you.

Thanks again for all the replys, and anything said always helps.

Augi

I didn't realize you were using an aftermarket TCM. In that case you can use the RPM sensor on the back of the block. It is only hooked into the STE/ICE harness so it is ok to disconnect it from what it's currently connected to.

Since it runs at half engine speed you would need to set the number of cylinders to 4 instead of 8 in the TCM (they use number of cylinders to determine the ratio to apply to the engine speed sensor for some reason).

Augi

colt45727

I didn't realize you were using an aftermarket TCM. In that case you can use the RPM sensor on the back of the block. It is only hooked into the STE/ICE harness so it is ok to disconnect it from what it's currently connected to.

Since it runs at half engine speed you would need to set the number of cylinders to 4 instead of 8 in the TCM (they use number of cylinders to determine the ratio to apply to the engine speed sensor for some reason).

Augi
Thanks for that info Augi, I will definitely do that. That will save me time and material to build the mount.
Thanks again

colt45727

I ran into another problem with the swap today, my stock 218 t-case for some reason wont bolt up to the 4l80e. There is and extra stud on the t-case and one less hole for the stud.

I thought that these were supposed to bolt up together?

If Iam wrong please correct me, but Im just not sure on it. I might just drill another hole or remove the one stud from the t-case.

Any suggestions?

Augi

The 4l80 probably has the 242 transfer case adapter on it. You need to get the one for the 218. I don't know if the tranny side of the adapter is the same between the 3l80 and 4l80.

jdmep

civi 6.5l turbo

I ran into another problem with the swap today, my stock 218 t-case for some reason wont bolt up to the 4l80e. There is and extra stud on the t-case and one less hole for the stud.

I thought that these were supposed to bolt up together?

If Iam wrong please correct me, but Im just not sure on it. I might just drill another hole or remove the one stud from the t-case.

Any suggestions?
I am not sure if you solved your 'bolt up problem' yet. I have 4 civilian 6.5l turbo trucks here ranging from 92 - 96 , 2 of them 2 wheel drive and 2 of them are four wheel drive... the 4 - wheels, one is a 2500 (chevy) and the other is a 96 gmc 3500 dually? if you need me to crawl under there and look for stuff i can.

colt45727

Hey Guys, sorry Ive been MIA for awhile. We got the right trans mount and adapter for the 4l80e. Had to go thru kascar to get the right one though. I have been neck deep into a turret build for the humvee.

Thanks again for all the help.

I also have some good news for those trying to do a 4l80e swap.

Instead of buying the timing cover sensor and all that noise, you can buy the rpm sensor for the 92-93 NA 6.5. This will take the place for the of the rpm sensor for the STE/ICE sensor.

For those who dont know where that is, its in the back of the block where the distributor would go on a gas motor.

The good thing about this is it also puts out an AC signal for the controller to pick up the signal and send it to the trans. I paid $90 for the unit from ac delco at super parts. You can get the conector from ac delco as well.

I hope this can help some of yall out.

Thanks again

Augi

Knowing about that sensor is incredibly helpful!

Having to swap the front of the engine to add the speed sensor is the only major hurdle to prevent a person from using the military transmission computer when they do a 4l80e swap.

Anyway I'm excited that you just knocked that one down for me. I'm looking at a crate 6.5NA to replace my oil burning 6.2 with when I install the four speed and a large driver of that is that it has the bung for the speed sensor. Now I can go either way.

Augi

Augi

So I've done some more research and it looks like the part is usually called an oil pump drive. They come with (for auto tranny's) and with out the speed sensor (for manual tranny's). The part number is: ACDELCO# 21597 and GM# 07849305. Apparently this sensor supplies four pulses per crank revolution, while the original sensor for the HMMWV STE/ICE only supplies two.

The crank speed sensor on the front of the 6.5 uses two wires (signal and ground). The sensor on the oil pump drive has three (+5v, signal and ground). Looking at the A2 wiring diagram I think that the signal and ground pins would be connected to the two existing wires for the crank sensor and then +5v would have to be supplied. The military TCM has several sources of +5 for other things like the TPS, so I think with an added splice into one of these sources power can be run to the speed sensor as well.

The military computer is just a civvy computer in a water-tight enclosure. Someone said that it was out of a 94 Chevy van 6.5L NA, but I can't confirm. Also it seems that newer years have different EEPROM's.

Augi

Attachments

BLK HMMWV

Thanks Colt and Augi for posting all this.
I'm looking at a 6.2 to 6.5 N/A swap in the near future.
I have the complete power pack and trying to figure out what kind of TCM to use.
I will be following in your footsteps.
UC

colt45727

Hey Augi,

The rpm sensor we have only has two connections., not three It may be a different tach signal recognized by the computer. We have a TCI stand alone unit that reads it fine after it goes thru a module that we have.

The sensor you have may work with the stock wiring and computer out of a civy van though. It could be different.

Ours is for the two years it was made, 92-93 6.5 diesel 3500. Its just an ac impulse and our module takes that signal and makes it in tach and corrects the impulse per revolution.

You may have one that only works with the stock computer, and is an active sensor which was used on newer chevy models. You may need to get the stock computer to make that one work.

The picture looks exact as ours, but the thing is that ours is a two prong plug.

Also the stock computer isnt going to shift that well because of the diff gear ratio, tires and what not. Having a stand alone computer can modify for the better shifts and rpms.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks, Colt

Augi

It seems that there is a part for 92,93 and a part for 94+. The PN I listed is for 94+.

The military TCM that I would hook it up to is out of a late model HMMWV, so the ratios are all in the ballpark.

The only reason I mentioned the van is because I read somewhere that the computer guts are the same as the HMMWV guts.

The only thing that the speed sensor affects is the torque converter clutch lock up. Without that signal the computer will never decide to engage it. There might be a couple of error codes that will never be able to be set as well, but that is minor. Other than the TCC general drivability, shiftpoints etc is not affected.

Augi

colt45727

I see now, My chevy dearlership guy must be on the slow side because he said that that type of sensor (two prong or three prong) was only made for two years and that it ONLY came in the 92-93.

I didnt know you were using a newer model hmmwv year computer, that would definitely make more sense on the ratios, gears, and shifts being the same. My bad.

Driveablitly shouldnt be bad at all, The stand alone can dial some things in along with delete error codes, like you had said.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks