• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4L80E swap shifter column question

Hey all, so I know that there is a lot of talk about a legendary 4L80E swap. Something I have not been able to figure out is the shifter column. If one were to perform a swap like this, I know that you can usually get on ebay a shift indicator that has OD, D, 2, 1. But what about the steering column? How do you get it to ratchet to the correct places? Is there a way to keep the stock steering column? Thanks.

glaser06

Hey all, so I know that there is a lot of talk about a legendary 4L80E swap. Something I have not been able to figure out is the shifter column. If one were to perform a swap like this, I know that you can usually get on ebay a shift indicator that has OD, D, 2, 1. But what about the steering column? How do you get it to ratchet to the correct places? Is there a way to keep the stock steering column? Thanks.
Rick, I may be wrong but I believe the "ratchet" of the arm is actually the shift linkage moving on the tranny, not a function of the column.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Those were my thoughts exactly, which made me wonder if I can just get a OD dash indicator and it will rock through all the new gears correctly... I just was not sure if there was a physical mechanism in the column that makes it detent

scottladdy

Rick, I may be wrong but I believe the "ratchet" of the arm is actually the shift linkage moving on the tranny, not a function of the column.
This is correct. Take a look at the -34 section 5 page 5 (5-5) or physical page 365 for details on the transmission linkage adjustment procedure. This should help.

Wow thanks y'all! I am guessing I know there is some kind of indentation to get out of park and to go from neutral to reverse... I am guessing on the 3 speed and 4 speed variants of the column that those indents were indeed in the same place?

scottladdy

Wow thanks y'all! I am guessing I know there is some kind of indentation to get out of park and to go from neutral to reverse... I am guessing on the 3 speed and 4 speed variants of the column that those indents were indeed in the same place?
No detentes on the column at all. All in the transmission. The indicator on the column is properly indexed for the transmission type. I believe the OD and 3 speed indicators are "close enough" for P,N,R and D that you don't "have" to change it out. I would. As already indicated, the pointer is fragile.

Barrman

The 4L80E is controlled by a Transmission Control Module.

Full range of travel by the shift lever on the column can't be used unless the shift rod from the column to the transmission is lengthened a bit and maybe bent a bit. The arm on the 4L80E will have to be swapped with the arm originally on the TH400. The pivot base bolted to the frame will have to be moved back some as well. Using the former rear mount hole in the frame as the new front mount hole works well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks