• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4L80e temperature

twisted60

What should be normal operating temperature of a 4l80e transmission ? I went for a 10-15 min drive and crawled under Humvee after and transmission pan was very hot, I’ll try again tomorrow and get some temperature numbers with my temp gun.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
170-190, as a general rule anything over 230 is big trouble.
Do you have a working trans light????? if the TC is not going into lockup it will heat quickly, in fact the trans should not go into lockup until it is at operating temp.

twisted60

Yes trans light works. What should I check to see if TC is working correctly ? I’ll go back in manuals and try to find an answer.
Thanks

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are probably OK, the trans does run pretty hot, like touching the radiator.
If you suspect anything you can see if you have any codes, not all codes set a trans light on when running.
Here is the troubleshooting guide in case you do not already have it.
Also disconnecting the batteries erases the codes.

Attachments

twisted60

Thanks, yes I have that manual. Trans light comes on when run switch is turned on and goes out when engine starts. I’ll check for codes to be sure.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks