• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4wd. In 4 hi shifter slowly moving back toward 2 hi

dpaulus

Last night I had to drive through the snow. I locked the hubs, and going about 10mph let off accelerator, and pulled shifter straight back to 4hi. Everything seemed fine until I started fish tailing like I only had rear wheel drive.

looking down at the shifter, I noticed the white indicator was no longer on 4hi and it was getting closer to 2hi.

i pulled it straight back to 4hi (not to right at all as if going to neutral) and kept driving. Twice more I looked down and it was out of 4 hi. Tried nudging it to right, but no difference. So put it in neutral, shifted to 2hi, and drove home 5 miles at 20mph.

How would I know if it was ever really in 4 hi?
Is it common for the shifter to move?
Can you bungee shifter lever to keep it engaged in 4hi?
Are you supposed to feel gears engage in 4hi like you do in 4 lo? (I didn't feel anything when shifting into 4hi)

this is was only the second time I used 4wd, so I don't know if anything has changed.

I really appreciate all your help.

camoyj7

You might need to rebuild your np208 transfer case. I've seen the shift forks wear out on them causing them to pop out of gear. They are pretty simple to rebuild.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some ideas:
1. It's haunted
2. It does not like to be 4wd
3. It wants to be a car.
4. Might be a car trapped in a cucv body.
5. It is having a mid-life crisis and needs therapy. (see TM for this one)
6. It is jealous (have you been spending too much time with other MV's?)

Last edited:

DieselBob

Are you supposed to feel gears engage in 4hi like you do in 4 lo? (I didn't feel anything when shifting into 4hi)
Sounds like the shift linkage isn't working either externally or inside the TC. You should feel a definite resistance when changing from 2H to 4H just like shifting a manual transmission. If you haven't done so check and make sure something as simple as the rod from the shift lever to the TC didn't come off one end or the other. And like camoyj7 indicated these are stupid simple to rebuild if that needs done.

M1008driver

All of them. I was in a hurry because I got called away. If the fluid levels are low it will cause problems like he described. I like Lucas Oil products.

Transfer Case (205 & 208 )

• Fluid is Dexron III
  • Capacity is listed as 5 qts.
  • Level should be approx. 1/4” below edge of filler plug hole
  • Drain and fill every 2 years/24,000 miles, or annually if under heavy use

Last edited:

Skinny

Sounds like linkage not adjusted correctly (not fully engaging 4HI) or the shift fork pads are worn.

Undo the linkage and manually shift it into 4HI, then roadtest and see what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks