• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5/8" Ballistic Windshield - Impulse Buy turns Cluster #$@&

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so I was checking on my EUC status for a M1151A1 I recently got and boom, several windshields auctions pop on the screen listed as:
(4) HMMWV Humvee Windshields - 5/8th Glass, without any other info besides a few pictures with a pile of about 24 windshields:

Windshields.jpg

I ended up winning one bid and later I found out that all four windshields are for the RH...I am like...%$%$#.. who does that?
It turns out that were being sold by a company that rents HMMWVs for movies and they actually shoot the ballistic glass for different scenes.

The good news is that they are new with gaskets/ seals and the bad news...they are all the same part number 12339507 (CAGE 19207) - insert crazy face emoji here LOL

Does anyone have one or two extra LH (1233950) looking to swap with RH side?

Edit - fixed typo

Last edited:

Autonomy_Lost

I would think that if you dont care about the ballistic protection you can probably just flip it around. My only concern would be if the inside surface is less abrasion resistant you might not want it facing outwards where the wipers etc will be causing wear.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't they be rotated 180 degrees and fit either side? or are the corners rounded on both ends.
Yes, they can be rotated, but functionally, the last layer is an anti-splatter polycarbonate, in which case that would face the outside instead of facing inside (it’s noted on the windshield which side should be installed on the inside).
Perhaps that wouldn’t be any worse than a regular windshield, but from a ballistic standpoint it would allow some glass to fly inside in case of an impact on that side.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think that if you dont care about the ballistic protection you can probably just flip it around. My only concern would be if the inside surface is less abrasion resistant you might not want it facing outwards where the wipers etc will be causing wear.
Yes, exactly, the wear on the polycarbonate is another detail, especially from the wipers.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Action has posted in the past that he provides a service to de-laminate the plastic layer off if that allows you to flip the glass and use them both sides. It will also save you headaches down the road when they turn cloudy. You will not have the safety layer but do you expect to be shot at?

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they can be rotated, but functionally, the last layer is an anti-splatter polycarbonate, in which case that would face the outside instead of facing inside (it’s noted on the windshield which side should be installed on the inside).
Perhaps that wouldn’t be any worse than a regular windshield, but from a ballistic standpoint it would allow some glass to fly inside in case of an impact on that side.
While polycarbonate is extremely tough and almost completely shatter resistant, it does scratch fairly easily and would be ruined by windshield wipers. Also if you happen to accidentally get any acetone on polycarbonate it will depolymerize and crumble!

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for saving me the headache. I considered buying those myself
Yes, that's the other reason for posting this story, so others could learn from this...cluster...if the item description is vague or unclear, assume the worst because it could done on purpose.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Action has posted in the past that he provides a service to de-laminate the plastic layer off if that allows you to flip the glass and use them both sides. It will also save you headaches down the road when they turn turn cloudy. You will not have the safety layer but do you expect to be shot at?
I think they could be more valuable for someone that needs a RH 5/8" replacement, worst case I could sell two of the RH and use the money towards getting the LH pieces.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A more simple answer is call the place you bought them from, find out who bought the four left windshields, and work out an old fashioned deal.

😉
Oh yes, I like simple...I did talk with them about it from the first moment I heard it and they said that all the windshields they bought for whatever movie(s) were RH side only and everything listed on GP was all RH side.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are tightly sealed and I am sure someone specialized could, but for only 4 pieces it would probably cost more than it’s worth it, each half weighs about 28lbs, so the shipping both ways is another factor.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the glass, it looks beautiful and I want to make it work if it doesn’t end up costing almost the same as getting new ones…ideally of course would be to trade the extra RH for LH…I even thought about putting a standard 1/4” HMMWV windshield in front to protect the polycarbonate side on the rotated half (on both sides to maintain same thickness) and use some extra windshield retainers as spacers to compensate for the extra thickness (with the lip cut off) but it feels too much like a Mickey Mouse job :)

Thumper580

Damn, where do you live? Chicago? 😁

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call a shop that specializes in making armored Hummers. see if they can buy four of the other side and then trade you havlsies
Good idea! I will check.
I am also planning to call some of the shops that sell it. Thanks!

Edit: typos

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks