• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 Cummins and Allison Swap M1008

EF-5

I'm selling my sport bike and would like to play around with different ideas that I can go through with on the M1008. The idea I like the most would be to swap the 6.2 and the th400 for a 5.9 Cummins and Allison 3060 (5 speed overdrive) transmission.

Now I've been doing a lot of research, but I'm still a little confused on the whole Allison part of the swap. I understand that the Allison model 3060 uses a shift computer, and I'm looking at a Cummins that has a P-pump and doesn't utilize a computer, and it is already mated with an Allison 3060, that apparently doesn't have the computer with it. I looked on Ebay and saw that the Allison TCM ECU is anywhere between $124 and $225. Most of the dealers can program it based on my tire size, axle ratio, and engine for around $185. Is this all I need to get the Allison operating??

I already had plans of running a divorced transfer case set up with an NP-205 from a dodge/ chevy. Avalanche Engineering makes a cross member for the M1008 Cummins swap. I can then fabricate steel cross members for the transmission and transfer case. Also I'm sure that my driveshaft will have to be shortened. I am also aware that the truck needs to be lifted 4" to fit the Cummins as well. ORD :p!

Does anyone think that this would be achievable? Any other comments/advice/support/this is a terrible idea is appreciated.

Also I have two friends that are diesel mechanics that have agreed to help with all the labor for free. They love doing this kind of stuff. I thought of this as a winter project.

EF-5

I did research on that as well lol. I know it's a huge transmission. Would it not be able to fit at all? Even with the lift?

I can always buy a Cummins seperate, and then maybe buy an Allison transmission that was out of 3500?

I know the NV4500 has been done already, but I wanted to try the swap with an automatic, and I really like the way an Allison sounds over a 47re or 4l80e. It's just a personal preference though.

ODdave

I am trying to find a stand alone controler for a allison 2200 that I have. The 1000 & 2000 should fit with out to much trouble. Not shure on the 3's. If i have any luck with locating a controler I will spread the word. (everyone at the the trans places i have talked to seem to be dumber than rocks)

EF-5

Alright sounds great. I have spotted a few 1000 and 2000 series for decent prices. I'll try to take measurements some how to see if the 3060 will fit.

Also i just got done reading a thread on 4btswaps and apparently you can bolt a 5 or 6 Allison, that once was mated to a dmax or 8.1 gas, up to any motor that a th400 or 700r4 once sat! That my be an interesting project in itself!

A guy on their asked if the drag of the Allison would make him loose power at the wheel, and the response was that the Allison is clutch to clutch so it actually has less drag than a 700r4. Might be interesting to try!

EF-5

So apparently Destroked makes an Allison 1000 stand a lone controller for $1599. If you find a heck of a deal on an Allison transmission it could be an alternative to gear vendors. I have seen Allison 1000's as low as $900 with 34,000 miles on them. Not bad.

What would it be like to have an Allison 1000 (5 spd) behind a 6.2? Your cruising speed would go up for sure wouldn't it?
What kind of speeds would we be looking at?

Then you could drop the Cummins in later :rolleyes:.

ODdave

Call de-stroked......You wont be impressed by there reps. Also not all 8.1's used a chevy bolt patern trans. Some had adapters to go to sae #3

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Don't bother with all this nonsense. Get a billet 47RH from a dodge and you're golden. No computer to screw with. And the 47RH can handle massive power with a triple disc converter, a good rebuild with billet shafts, and a good valve body. If you need any parts for it, feel free to reach out to me. I also work it a diesel performance company.

FWIW, my dodge has laid down 482hp to the rear wheels on a stock transmission with only a VB, TC, input shaft, and flexplate upgrade. And I use my truck to tow.

EF-5

I'm liking this idea. I tried to find the over drive ratio on the 47rh but got lost a little bit lol. So any idea what my cruising speed would be with the 5.9 and the 47rh along with 37's??

EF-5

I'm not sure it is. But from what I have read is doesn't have an over drive. I hope I'm wrong lol. But they are cheaper.

Matt1031

Take a page from Dodge's playbook-

The early Dodge Cummins pickups from 89-90ish with the 727 did not have overdrive. That's why they had to put 3.07 gears (the infamous Dana 61 front) under the early automatics just for them to be highway speed capable. Stock Cummins governed rpm is something like 2800 and without any OD they'd be screaming at around 45mph with 4.10 gears. I'm thinking that even with an OD trans you're going to want to ditch the CUCV's 4.56 gears for something numerically lower if you drop a Cummins in it. I know they make 4k+ governer springs, but realistically - are you building a daily driver or sled puller?

91-93 they used the A518(46rh) well known for having torque converter problems but at least it had OD and could handle highway speeds with 3.54's.

Not sure what your budget is, but check the math. Even a cheap mechanical non-od allison is going to be a royal pain to install and will require some major floorpan mods, plus a gear swap. With the electronic Allisons, also add on what you're going to spend on getting a controller to work (not cheap). What are you going to do about a transfer case?

+1 on patracy's solution - heck of a lot easier to just get a 47rh/np241 and be done with it. Way less expensive, Way less mods to install, and more than strong enough.

Here's your gear calculator. Plug in the numbers and go to town.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm liking this idea. I tried to find the over drive ratio on the 47rh but got lost a little bit lol. So any idea what my cruising speed would be with the 5.9 and the 47rh along with 37's??
The 47RH has a .69 OD. So that with 4.56 gears and 37" tires nets a hair over 1700rpm at 60mph. Right in the sweet spot for power.

SCRAP

dont even mention a allison 545. they are terrible trannys, they have no lock up, the converters are very inefficient, they just flat out suck. I had 3 of them and couldnt even get 100.00 for them! plus with a 1-1 final ratio, your better off keeping the th400 just beacause of size alone.

EF-5

Yeah I wasn't too fond of the Allison 545 after reading up on them. I was looking at the 1000 2000 or even 3000 series, but I'm really liking patracy's idea! I forgot about that transmission all together. I was looking at putting on a 3200 rpm governor spring. I think all of that together should next me good running speeds.

Does it sound like I'll be able to keep up with highway traffic with just the 47rh (without destroying the cummins) , or will I still need to change the gearing in the axles to 4.10? I understand that all the carriers need to changed and so forth and it ends up being expensive. I'd rather not have to, because from what I hear, running and overdrive and still have the 4.56 gives you a real nice setup.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Leave it 4.56 with those 37's. The cummins doesn't mind revving. I've spun mine up 3800 countless times.

EF-5

Alright so these 47rh are a little hard to find, but that's ok. I just need to be patient. However, I do know that the overdrive is electronically engaged through a three-pronged solenoid right? What do I do about the overdrive? Is there any way to wire it into the truck, or mechanically bypass it? :lost:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks