• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 Cummins, NV4500, Hydro-boost, and Disc Brakes

Section8

Awesome rig!!
I am presently getting started on my project. Which after reading your thread is remarkably going to be similar.
I have a 1955 M135 that I am going to do an extended cab on, push the first rear axle back to the middle of the tandem set up and bob the rest.
I am about to get my hands on a 5.9L dodge 12v. It is mated to a 5 speed 4x4 tranny but also comes with an extra auto allison.
I am also looking to go disc brakes all around with hydro boost.
What hydro boost did you use? Regular pickup or from some medium duty commercial truck??
I am also having difficulty finding out if the disc brake conversions for the rockwells like yours would work on my old GM Corporate 2.5 ton axles.
Once again great job! Wanna come up to Canada and help me do mine!! (Insert begging smiley here)

338lapua09

Just seen this build ...top notch..was wondering if it's been done and here we are ...lol :popcorn:ready for some vids....
congrats on the tuff looking truck..

I really feel for you when you had the fuel issue.....You have to love this new epa fuel junk....with all the extra exspence need to maintain the new fuel...I have had my battles in the past...

moparnut

UPDATE:

she moved under her own power today!!!!

ok ok, at first it was only about 5 feet. Flat Black and a buddy of his drove up to check out and chit-the-chat. it was great to meet them both! but while they were there i fired her up and did some back and forth brake check in the drive.

the brakes seemed quite solid. after Flat & Co. left i wanted to get it off of the drive (so i could park in 'my' spot again) so i was going to pull it forward onto the grass

.... but i couldn't resist: i took it down the street and around the cul-de-sac a couple times. pretty sweet!

already i could tell that my power steering pump upgrade is definitely going to be paying off - this pump seems to flow much better than the other. of course, the other was likely too under-driven.

power - well, that seems like that's going to be fun!

brakes - wow. i mean i haven't really gotten to drive it, but a quick jaunt down the road and ... wow. smooth pedal engagement with about 20% of the required effort. no panic stops yet. i have to dial in the rear proportion, anyway. later.

i only drove it for a minute - i don't have an alternator which means i don't have a serpentine belt on which means i don't have a water pump running.

man i need that alternator!!! :deadhorse:

we'll get there.

thanks for all the kind words and support!
what kind of steering box did you use or is it just a orbital? I'm thinking of putting p/s on my deuce but unsure about going full hyd. system not sure if it would be safe on highway, also if legal not having a mechanical gear box if you loose hyd fluid you lose control but with mechanical box you still have steering alythough being very hard. FANTASTIC BUILD/CONVERSION I'm a Dodge person all the way.Great skills to do this kind of work would loved to of helped but kinda far to drive I'm in Ca. Again GREAT JOB......................

OldSalt

Would you please PM me the price and vendor info for the disk brake conversion? I'd love to convert to a disk brake setup, especially now that it is a bolt on system with the hubs reversed!

mudguppy

what kind of steering box did you use or is it just a orbital? ... also if legal not having a mechanical gear box if you loose hyd fluid you lose control but with mechanical box you still have steering alythough being very hard. ...
sorry, missed this one earlier. I used the PSC full hydro kit. Yes, it uses a steering valve and not a steering box, so there is no mechanical linkage. I believe that a thorough inspection of the steering system before each drive per day is critical to ensuring safety on the road with a full hydraulic system. all hoses are routed out in the open for both easy visibility/inspection as well as elimination of rubbing/wear-through potential.

as far as legality, there has been tons of discussion on this site. Basically, you have to search your state's laws. Likely what you'll find is performance criteria without mention of a 'mechanical connection.' A properly built hydro system can macth the performance criteria.

thanks for the comments.

akparker0369

Great thread, wish I had the means/ knowledge to pull this off. Unfortunately, after reading the last 21 pages I realize what I don't know is... ALOT.

Any photos of your truck at play?

Flat Black

Ouveson Engineering and Machine also has 6 lug and 8 lug disc brakes, along with lots of other cool parts for Rockwells. Get out your check book or credit card, they are not cheap....

dmolson92

We need some updates or pics or videos or ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! :tank: Hope your enjoying it! I'm gathering pieces to start my own Cummins swap now! have the motor and trans jus need a few odds and ends!

The disc brakes from Ouverson Engineering are not meant for a Deuce, they are meant for rock and mud buggies with a much lower gross vehicle weight. Put them on a Deuce and you are going to have warped and crack rotors in no time and eventually complete brake failure.

Ouveson Engineering and Machine also has 6 lug and 8 lug disc brakes, along with lots of other cool parts for Rockwells. Get out your check book or credit card, they are not cheap....

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The disc brakes from Ouverson Engineering are not meant for a Deuce, they are meant for rock and mud buggies with a much lower gross vehicle weight. Put them on a Deuce and you are going to have warped and crack rotors in no time and eventually complete brake failure.
These are made for deuce and half and bobbed trucks.

Attachments

Section8

If a disc brake system was never meant for a truck over one ton they would not have been put on civilian vehicles!
Ford F550, F650, even some F750's, Chevy 4500, 5500, 6500, Hino's, just to name some off the top of my head.
I have seen full disc systems with NO air assist or drums.
Just sayin. Don't want to be a shmuck or nothin.
I would think a disc set up on a duece would be fine since there are commercial vehicles out there heavier, than a duece, with them.
Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
The ones OEM sells which stands for Ouverson Enginering & Machine, not to be confused with the term "Original equipment manufacturer" are not like the ones Steve makes or the ones found on ford 550's on up. They have a MUCH smaller rotor, caliper, and pad. The ones that Steve makes are awesome and there are alot of people running his stuff. I live in Central Florida and most people who run rockwells on their mud trucks know of or have heard of Steve.

Section8

Again not to be a shmuck but.....
His rotors are 15 inches in diameter as far as I remember from the start of this thread.
I have sourced rotors for my application, from a 1980's ford F700 that are 15 inches and 1.5 inches thick, which are probably the same ones used by Steve.
The difference between manufacture oem and OEM is that he (Steve) puts an awesome system together for rockwells, instead of the average guy trying to do the same in his basement, like me, by getting parts and pieces that are oem manufactured and putting it together.
I may be talking out my arse here but OEM's systems that are either bolt on or complete axles are made with oem parts to make an awesome system. Thankfully Steve had the ability to make his system and produce a reliable product.
Anyone who is lucky enough to get his system applied to his or her rig is one lucky SOB in my opinion!!

mudguppy

if you call OEM and talk with Randy he'll be the first to tell you not to run his disc brakes on a rig more than 5-6k lbs.

Steve G has spent a serious amount of time researching and trialing his systems to make them suitable for medium duty applications.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks