• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 Cummins, NV4500, Hydro-boost, and Disc Brakes

mudguppy

... How much energy do your custom disc brakes dissipate? The individual stock Deuce brake drums dissipate 12,000 watts each.

In other words, can your brakes handle a full-sized, loaded Deuce?
i guess i don't understand the measurement or how it's derived. i do know that the F550 calipers are usually in the range of 19k lbs GVWR (33k GCWR) and the rotors are an International truck with a 26k lbs GVWR.

in either application, that's two axles worth of brakes. add a third axle, then i don't see how it wouldn't be more than capable.

mudguppy

... Is the whistle worse than a whistler turbo?
no, the stock HX35 turbo doesn't whistle much out of the exhaust; well, not nearly like a C-turbo does. it does whistle on the compressor side, though.

the exhaust note is much 'throatier' at idle and lower rpms. i actually believe the exhaust is louder throughout the rpm range than the MF (and it gets real loud above 3k+).

a turbo upgrade is mandatory for the future since i have more fuel than air, right now. likely a set of twins. but this will have to be phase 3+...

Travismo

that thing is soooo clean looking. i like the look of the tinted windows on it. what are your plans for the exhaust? Iv been thinking about running two stacks behind the cab through the bed. do you think it will work?

mudguppy

any idea how much rotating weight you lost when converting to disc brakes?
to be quite honest, i think i gained a few pounds overall. i know that the rotor/hub assembly weighs in at around 95 lbs. the entire crate of brake parts was over 600 lbs by the BOL. i'd only estimate the crate at 40-50 of that... :shock:

but, hard to say if any of this rotating weight was reduced. if it was, i don't think it was by much.

that thing is soooo clean looking. i like the look of the tinted windows on it. what are your plans for the exhaust? Iv been thinking about running two stacks behind the cab through the bed. do you think it will work?
the exhaust is the stock J-pipe arrangement through the front fender. i just had to make an adapter piece to attach. i originally planned to re-do (and simplify) the J-pipe out of 4" tubing, but ran out of time. i think i'll do this when i upgrade turbo(s) in the future since that will need modification anyway.

i considered both running the exhaust straight out the back and up through the bed. if i would do it, i'd probably only do a single stack: half the work, but i'll also have a hydraulic reservoir in the corner of the bed (future) that will occupy this space. but in the end, i really want to keep the functionality of using the bed tarp/cover and a stack through the bed would complicate this greatly.

i'm satisfied with it for now. except how much louder it is than before... :roll:

a turbo upgrade is mandatory for the future since i have more fuel than air, right now. likely a set of twins. but this will have to be phase 3+...
Diesel power mag had an article on that they called the Tow Missile, it was a 3500 with a custom triple set up :) just something to make you think (even if only a "wouldn't that be awesome" 8) )

mudguppy

oh, don't worry: i saw it.

however, to be honest, getting that much power developed and to the ground (in this truck) is the obstacle. i don't anticipate that i'll be towing much of anything, i won't be at the 1/4 mile track, and i don't plan to be pulling a sled anytime soon. so, other than a 'wow factor', a high HP setup wouldn't be super practical.

rather, i'm thinking that a good 'standard' twin setup (HX35/HT3B or S366/S475) would be the ticket. having near-instant spool and boost throughout a wide rpm range translates into power on-demand around town, off-road, and in a mud-pit. likely the retaining the HX' is the better option for keeping cost down and that setup is good up to 550hp.

but, that first option would be one heck of a 'wow factor'... :driver:

kwiksilver

VGT is the new cats meow in the diesel world. Variable geometry means instant spool and 1:1 pressure to boost ratio. It is turning the cummins world upside down.

mudguppy

yes, mainly the HE351V's from what i've read. however, i haven't seen a stand-alone controller yet - i've heard for a year that Fleece is working on one, but...?

mudguppy

Wow!!!! Very cool.
I was wondering why keep the divorced case? Could you not find the right ratios? I would have thought with the 4500 plenty of stout cases available.
:drool::beer:
the deuce transfer is huge and strong. and with a synchro'd hi-lo range select and air-shift front output, i'm not sure what other transfers would beat the value or performance.

besides, this is there already - changing cases of this size is an ordeal.

although speaking of, i may have in input 'issue' on mine...

mudguppy

There is one now from what I understand. $600...ouch
actually, what i don't understand is if that one is fully stand-alone or not. the video shows the dude turning the knob to open/close the turbo. neat, but i don't have a 3rd hand to keep tuning the turbo everytime i shift or mash the throttle. a circuit board and potentiometer isn't what i'd call a 'controller.'

i haven't seen anything else from them yet. when i get that far, i'll ring them.

<<sitting back with popcorn>> :beer: what are the plans on the intake side? I noticed the air raid stuffed on the inlet, guessing that will get improved?
actually it's a cheap-o Summit filter that's branded "K&N". :mrgreen: that is just to get me running. i would like to keep my BHAF, but it will require a mount and wierd intake tubing to fit - there's less room under the deuce hood than the ram... :roll:

i took a short video clip of starting and idling. i didn't do any driving today because i noticed a knock in the upper end. it's more of a thump on a single cylinder and it appears to be emminating out of the intake horn. i think it's a valve that needs adjusting. so tomorrow i may do a top-end adjustment.

i'll go see if i can learn myself how to post on youtube... :?

joec

Looking good Travis...!

I saw that you did a conversion to your alternator. They have a 24v alt. It is the same on KOMATSU W180-1 That has the Cummins 5.9 and 24v system. I can get you a part number for you. you can get them from Napa. Or just to have the number on hand for a reference for the next person who does a swap. I will get it tomorrow.

mudguppy

... They have a 24v alt. It is the same on KOMATSU W180-1 That has the Cummins 5.9 and 24v system. ...
i'm not sure this would be the same - the alternator i used was the OE NipponDenso split-eared case (internally cooled) that fits under the stock 8-rib serpentine. any other 24V that i could find was a Delco style with large foot and external fan - this wouldn't fit well.

but if your part number would fit, well... dang.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks