• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 lug 20"wheel?

armytruck63

I believe that a 5-lug Budd type wheel from a 1930's Ford AA will fit an M37. It is 20", but fairly narrow. I have seen some pretty cool setups using those wheels for the snow.

You could probably find these wheels or something similar at a wrecking yard that has old trucks.

Tanner

And in reply to your query posted on G741, you CAN use Gama Goat 11-18" NDT rim/tire assys in conjunction with an adaptor plate, BUT the supplies of those tires are drying up (tires for the GG haven't been made in probably 25 years or more), and the option of changing to a modern high profile civilian 18" radial tire won't happen, as I've been through this search 5 years ago, and an 18" radial inner tube & flap don't appear to exist. Anywhere.

My bet is you're trying to get more road speed out of the M37 with stock 5.83 gearing & stock 230 powerplant... right? :) I've been around this road already in the search for tires. There is a gentleman in NC that has a set of ~38" tires for sale on stock M37 rims... you might contact him. This would be a bolt-on & give you a bit better top-end speed. Until the 230 motor protests...

You have a PM -

'Tanner'

Tanner

Cabell Garbee and I have been discussing this idea for a couple years now... but this would require an annular ring to be machined to make up the difference in the gap between the M37 wheel center OD & the ID of the Deuce/HEMTT rim - my thoughts on this are that you've now got a much heavier wheel/tire combo. Which would find the next weak link in the chain... that most likely being an axle shaft. :D

I hate starting a comment with the statement - 'trust me' - but the reality is that off the shelf wheels for an M37 don't exactly exist. I've been around this mountain personally & with discussion & knowledge of others that have been down this path already.

So, you've got a few options:

- use Michelin 1100x16 ZXL/XL tires on stock rims yielding roughly 40" ish in height - and the tires are getting more scarce with each passing year (YES, I KNOW that they can be retreaded...)
- use an adaptor plate for M37 & mount Gama Goat tires/rims to get ~40" in height- AND using old tires, with good ones being harder to get - you MAY luck out & find a few new tires here/there, but where? Then you'll need tubes & flaps in a swap situation.
- have HMMWV rims mod'd & run HMMWV tires, limiting you to ~ 37" tire height & 'odd' 16.5" rim size with 8"-9" width.
- look at having custom rims made with Budd/M37 bolt pattern, in 16"/17"/18"/20" rim diameter & use appropriate civvy or military tire. (note, however, that MOST aftermarket rims that I have looked at that are one-piece have rim lips that are too 'short' where the rim contacts the tire bead to 'properly' mount a military tire, like a Michelin 12.50-20 for example.
- other options, etc...

bryan

Last edited:

98taco3

A friend of mine has made wheels for his M37 based power wagon monstrosity using the 1930s ford wheel centers and modern truck 20" wheels. They look great on the truck and go down the road well too. Truck is 440 powered on stock M37 running gear and has not broken an axle in a long while. Yes it has in the past but seems to be holding up fine with the newer set of shafts(70s vintage, not original 50s equipment). Am thinking about going this route as 20" rim class 8 truck tires are a dime a dozen compared to 900 or 1100x16s. Ill try to grab a few pictures of them if i get a chance, they really make the truck!

MIKE2A6X2

Well it feels like ive searched the entire internet. Still nothing. I did notice that some 1940's-1950's Ford and GMC Farm trucks came with a wide 5 lug but the bold pattern is 5 x 7 7/8 (This is a 5 lug 20" wheel). The M37 is 5 x 6 7/8.

Late 70's winnebago' s also had a similar set up.

This might be crazy but since there the same center hole size also would it be possible to drill new lug holes in between the existing one and then weld in pieces to fill in the original holes? Since the center hole is the same, it wouldnt be hard to get it true.

armytruck63

A machine shop would be able to drill a new hole pattern for you, but I doubt anyone would touch the job because of liability concerns. Drilling a second set of holes in a wheel would weaken the wheel and make it more likely to crack.

98taco3

I wouldnt see much of a problem making plugs for the original lug holes and welding them closed. Then remachining new lug seats. This would be of course on a mild steel wheel. What is the difference from re centering hmmwv wheels? Still welding on a structural member of the wheel. Of course i dont mean farmers welds but welds actually done correctly. Interesting, never thought about going that route. Might have to investigate going that route...

98taco3

...xactly! And yet, it hasn't stopped some from mounting them on late-model rims. I question the safety behind it - regardless of the 'fact' that 'it fits'...

Tanner

Same thing goes on with 16, 16.5, and 17in wheels. Always see the wrong sized tire on them. Also the wrong bead design for the wheels.