• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton 4x4 Conversion

Seatyger

Great ideas but if your gonna cut...... please get away from the 'dropping the tailer bed' on the back. Everyone seems to do great fab work, then (IMO) ruin it with the dorky undersized wheel wells etc. i think it totally ruins the balance and flow of the vehicle. ( I get it as far as convenience etc., but its still like nails on a chalkboard to look at)

A 5 Ton I believe would be too large a platform to drop an M105 especially if larger tires are mounted. mikew's photo of the 4x4 version is one of the better ones!

Of course this is just my opinion and means nothing in the big picture because its YOUR truck and you do to it what suits YOU! That is what makes this hobby so unique and interesting.

jatonka

Check my website for today pictures of the 900 shorty build.

On the frame cutoffs, I think I have to keep them, but I will have some M39 series 5 ton frame parts soon, I think

Seatyger

Just checked out your website, and well..... Awesome! God Bless anyone who includes John Wayne! I am going to be at the Remington Factory in May for a week taking their Armorers courses. Would it be accetable to drop by your location and visit, drool and melt the Visa?

I hope you guys don't think my comments regarding the M105 was being Smart A$$ed, I personally am looking at procuring another short bed for a second 'Hot Rodded' M135 Cranetruck. Has anyone ever tried to torch or plasma cut a trailer bed to fab up an enlarged wheel well opening to accomodate larger tires?

Anyway, great job and ideas and I will be subscribing to this one :beer:

Seatyger

natem-
Size wise I think the M105 is great. My eyes for whatever reason gravitate immediately to the top of the rear tire and the fender well opening. It appears ( to me) to need another 6 to 8 inches of space on either side. This to balance the lines created by the relationship of the front fender and tire.

I know its dumb, and I apologize for sidetracking this thread.

jrod66

I am not a big fan of the bobbers, but I like the small beds on them, They dont really look out of place unless you have that in mind when looking at them. 5ton looks bigger and meaner with that extra rear axle, just my .02 :)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 818 that I am doing now is no frame cut and will have a 162" wheel base. The bed will be around 10' 4" and my fingers are crossed the she will look in balance.

jatonka

After JCAPPLERJR and I had several conversations, I think we have the rear suspension conflicts worked out. We will be mounting a 12' deuce bed this coming week. I removed the spare tire and davit so as to move the bed a little closer to the cab. I'll post some pics when I get back home from Aberdeen next week. I think it's gonna be a nice truck. Got to take the drive shaft to the shaft shop to lengthen and I will be ready to test drive. That is always a big thing with me to see how a new idea actually drives on the highway. JT

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Looking forward to seeing it John.The next one I build its going to have a cut down deuce bed.The one I am building now the customer wanted a M105 bed.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you figure?
Because thats what the dataplates and TMs say. 10000 lbs maximum load for both trucks. The M939s aren't "double rated" onroad like the older trucks. I'm sure they'd still carry double and more, but they aren't rated for it like the older trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks