• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Air Cleaner Assy on a M35?

OD_Coyote

I have been thinking about putting a 5 Ton air cleaner assembly on my M35A2C. Does anybody have any insight to the pros and cons putting a 5 ton air cleaner on a deuce?
Also, if you have any pics, please post them.

Thank you,
Chris

Westech

CPL
well its a higher CFM filter. Should be almost a bolt in if you use the filter off a multi deuce and not the Cummins. really wont feel any more power... may help lower Temps a bit but dont bet the farm. I had a huge K&N on mine and did not feel or see a thing. But the 5 ton filter would look cool.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Chris, I am doing that now. None of the 5ton intake hoses or tube will work. I am currently looking at duct to go from the 5" air filter housing oulet, 90* to a 4" tube, to another 90* 4" reducer to the 3.5" I have currently. The smaller fender will not allow for you to pop the lid off and pull out the filter element, you'll have to take the whole housing off to service it. I think there is one pic in the indy,ky,oh gathering thread.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen pics of some deuces in Vietnam that showed a 5-ton air cleaner mounted to the deuce fender, pulled off of wrecked M51 series 5-tons in the field. Looked cool, but I didn't think there would be much improvement in the air flow or air cleanliness.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Joe, I had thought about that, but either way, I would need custom tubing. I am thinking about stuffing my fuel fired coolant heater in the stock airfilter space.

SasquatchSanta

At one time I had concerns that the stock deuce air filter assembly was restricting my LDS-1A engine and therefore contributing to EGTs.

I installed a vacuum gauge under the steering column in place of the little warning thingy.

I can't remember how much vacuum the LDS-1A pulls but it's "very" little --- not enough to be worried about.

I figure they put the larger air filters on the 5-ton trucks so the filters would last longer in dusty conditions.

If you like the looks of the 5-ton filters by all means go ahead. I personally think they would only be in the way. Don't look for any performance increase.

SasquatchSanta

Oh No --- Air Filter Envy!
rofl

On a more serious note ... I checked past records AND checked the gauge yesterday. It appears that I'm picking up some of that white salt dust that comes off the roads up here in the winter because the gauge now goes up to 8 pounds when I stand on the throttle. Winters up here are worse than summers dirty air wise. Anyway, a few months the gauge was reading 5 inches of merc, now it's going to 8. I'm told not to be concerned until it goes to15.

Does anyone know at what reading the original warning device under the steering column turns red?

The 5-ton filter no doubt gives a larger window of service over the stock deuce filter.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, Ernie, the filter "condition" indicator is actually a vacuum gauge. It turns red at about 20 inches of water (not mercury).

Edit: Normally while driving, I see about 4 to 6 inches of water on my Magnehelic gauge shown in the image below.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks