• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton aluminum rims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maui6x6

Anybody know of a way to get aluminum rims on a 5 ton. The only reason is because I would like cool shiny aluminum instead of the steel. I would even be okay with alcoa's or accurides for a big rig if I could get adapters. Any ideas out there?

Maui6x6

Any standard bud rim will fit buy all you want.[/QUOTE

"Budd" is just a generic term describing the style of the wheel. There is basically 2 styles, Budd and Dayton. Dayton has the 5 spoke cast hub. Budd is designed just like a wheel on a car or pickup.
I most definitely don't want a Dayton style rim, so that leaves me with the normal wheel everyone has, Budd.
BUT..... I am not able to find aluminum rims that have the right bolt pattern and center hole to fit the 5 ton Rockwell axles. Also, they would have to be the right offset.

ranchhopper

There are three types of wheel ball and seat (budd), hub piloted and Dayton the budd style wheel is the older style and they will fit your truck I have a whole bunch of them I run 11R24.5 tubeless tires on them.

Maui6x6

I have checked with Accuride and the Big Rig Chrome Shop and they both say that standard semi rims will not work fo me. "Standard" is a subjective term because not all semi rims are the same. After checking with Accuride I found out there are many different configurations, none of which fit the 5 ton Rockwell axle.

Maui6x6

The center is the key with rockwells regular semi tractor rims are probably not going to fit over the hub.
Yes, thank you, you are right! "Standard" semi tractor rims do no fit the 5 ton Rockwell. I'm looking for someone on here that has real world experience with actually bolting up a set of aluminum rims on a 5 ton and is working perfectly. Right offset and everything.

ranchhopper

You may be able to machine out the centers if it doesn't need much to get it to fit since they are a (budd) stud indexed wheel. Measure the axle flange and post it up there may be some sitting in someones shed with the right center hole cutting them down wouldn't take much as long as there is enough left not to compromise the wheels center strength.

Maui6x6

You may be able to machine out the centers if it doesn't need much to get it to fit since they are a (budd) stud indexed wheel. Measure the axle flange and post it up there may be some sitting in someones shed with the right center hole cutting them down wouldn't take much as long as there is enough left not to compromise the wheels center strength.
Good ideas. I will be meeting with my truck builder tomorrow and he specializes in military trucks. I'm hoping maybe he has some ideas as well. If I come up with a definitive answer or other ideas from him, I will post it.

BEASTMASTER

a while back there was a guy at the Rochester,Ma. county fair that had a 5 ton with aluminum buds on all around. it took the military look right out of it. I didn't like it. didn't look right. but to each his own.

Maui6x6

a while back there was a guy at the Rochester,Ma. county fair that had a 5 ton with aluminum buds on all around. it took the military look right out of it. I didn't like it. didn't look right. but to each his own.
You may have a point. I suppose "dubs" don't look awesome on everything. I would have to stand them up next to the truck before I would commit. Maybe some 30's with ultra low profile tires?:cookoo:

jasonjc

Just went out and check. A 8.25X22.5 budd wheel (steel) fits right on the 5 ton hub. Looks to be the same off set also.

Status
Not open for further replies.