• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton axle bearings and seals part# x-reference?

derby

Timken #596 outer bearing, Timken #593a inner bearing(or cone), Timken #592a cup in and out. The seals I just orderd from memphis $10.28 outer,$35.55 inner.Be careful when pulling the hubs to not drag the race accross the axle nut threads,I use a couple wraps of duct tape. also the hub is about 100# so have a place to set it down.This task would be better with a soldier "B". Go and buy a box of low lint disposable rags,You will need them!

OSO

RE: cool

This is real helpful. These bearings all the same for all 5 ton trucks? Mine is 1953 m139 bridge truck IHC :?:

Vintage iron

Has the military gone to a two piece inner oil seal like on commercial trucks yet. I would like to have the gear oil cool the bearings. My friend is helping me replace the inner seals. It seems silly to have just grease in the hubs.

lacoda56

Those bearing numbers should be the same for the M39 and M800 series trucks. Just did my front axle and the best price I found for the bearings was thru the local Peterbilt dealer route man. Got the seals and silicone boots from A1 Army surplus.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have ordered the original 5 ton seals, I am looking for the civilian/commercial gear oil seal that will work in these axles.
There is no such thing as a civilian equivalent to the seals.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the reason for the grease and the double seal, is for deep water use, helps to keep the water out of the rears and bearings, for normal use with no high water use, I see no reason not to run gear oil in the hubs, In civy use this is the way these hubs were used, only the mil. use had the double seals and grease

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
great info. I will save the seal numbers and buy a set for each axle now.

There are no seal numbers in this thread, those are the bearing numbers.

DOCUSN1

Hello all Dog Head is right here are the following pn # s and info for 809 series 5 ton :

Wheel Seal 5 ton G-744 : Ref # 7409550 Newstar # S-C422

Outer Oil Seal : Ref # 7413447 Newstar # S-E476

Wiper Seal Ref # 7409553 Newstar # S-E477

Hope This Helps

All of the info is out of my vendors catolog that was from 2009, im not sure if I am still listed as a parts vendor I will find out, Mark

NickAir

On the 5 tons there is a conversion available. this conversions is supposed to last vs. the old water forging seals were short life but were an attempt at waterproofing. This is how I understand what a heavy truck mechanic told me the other day. Maybe some one can comment on this with education for us all.

When driving these trucks for a living, I remember the wheel seals going out regular, along with regular failure of the wheel cylinders, but that is another thread.

Jakelc15

I've got a wheel seal leaking on my 818. I found these civilian part numbers, should be able to get them at napa.
This is the seal that keeps the gear oil out of the knuckle.
Mil seal assy #7346951 (has no cross)
Includes • 8758268 retainer
• 10938292 seal
• 7346986 washer

Seal 10938292 2.125 ID 3.123-3.126 OD .484-.516 W
Skf seal 21234 is same od and id but slightly thinner.
Skf seal 21245 is same dimension as 21234 but has double lip seal.
Speedi-sleeve # 99212 to repair axle shaft groove.
Skf and National are the same.

Once you get to the seal, leave the retainer in place, pop out the washer and seal, replace the seal and put the washer back in.
The seal is about $ 20 compared to $50 or so for the whole thing. And the double lip seal should help it to last longer and stay uncontaminated.