• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton axle seal problem

jpekarek

So on my new 5 ton, I thought the brake cylinder was leaking. Turns out it is 90 weight gear oil. That means the axle seal, I can deal with that.

My question is: Can I drive it that way for a while as long as I make sure the oil level in the diff is full? Or is it something critical that needs to be addressed right away due to possible additional damage potential?:(

Thanks guys!

motorolanut

Ditto, Grease or Oil soaked brake shoes can cause major issues when the brakes are applied.
Pull the Hub, axle shaft, check all for burrs and bearings for any signs of brinelling.
Then install a new grease seal.

Last edited:

jpekarek

Well I ordered a rear axle tune-up kit for the 5 ton axle from Boyce Equipment, it has an outer seal, a flange gasket and an inner seal they call a "pinion seal". Those guys guys at Boyce are some of the best customer service people I have ever worked with. I will document the procedure step by step with photos so others can see what is going on in there and what I may run in to.

I am going to use the advice provided by "dm22630" for a procedure.

1. Park on a FLAT surface & set your parking brake.
2. Chock wheels.
3. Jack up the leaking side of the axle.
4. Remove both tires.
5. Remove axle shaft.
6. Remove axle nut, lock nut, outer wheel seal, & outer wheel bearing.
7. Remove hub/drum assembly (80+ lbs....DONT slide across your axle threads!).
8. Remove inner wheel seal & inner wheel bearing.
9. Clean everything (brake shoes, brake drum ** clean & lightly sand to scar surface **, remove all old wheel bearing grease & gear oil from inside hub).
10. Pack bearings.
11. Install inner wheel bearing & inner wheel seal.
12. Install hub/drum.
13. Install outer wheel bearing, outer wheel seal, lock nut, & axle nut.
14. Insert axle shaft & remember to use high-temp RTV sealant to seal completely.
15. Reinstall tires.
16. Remove Jack.
17. Fill gear oil in that axle.
18. DONE!

jpekarek

Well I ordered a rear axle tune-up kit for the 5 ton axle from Boyce Equipment, it has an outer seal, a flange gasket and an inner seal they call a "pinion seal". Those guys guys at Boyce are some of the best customer service people I have ever worked with. I will document the procedure step by step with photos so others can see what is going on in there and what I may run in to.

I am going to use the advice provided by "dm22630" for a procedure.

1. Park on a FLAT surface & set your parking brake.
2. Chock wheels.
3. Jack up the leaking side of the axle.
4. Remove both tires.
Well I got to step 4 today. Took me all day to get the friggin lug nuts and bolts off. More tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stalwart

If you find the axle a little sticky to release, you can use the principle of bounceback to make it come out easily. Strike the end of the axle with a 5-8 lb. steel hammer. Try to strike those "C" shaped protrusions on the axles . . . I've been through this too on the HEMTT. Just take your time and follow the proceedure on setting the bearing preload.

Attachments

Stalwart

Not me, nothing that a scraper, screwdriver, good paper towels and 5 cans of brake cleaner couldn't cure in 20 minutes. :mrgreen:

jpekarek

Yea there is a big mess for sure. The entire inside of the wheel is HEAVY with gear oil. I am betting that the brake shoes will be as well.

I will use the hammer method if needed. Good advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks