• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Bobbed w/w pricing

vinny-socom1

I've got a bobbed 1970 XM818 5ton with 53" tires and clear FL title. It will be going up for sale soon, your welcome to check out the photos in my album. There are other photos of the truck in action under the last FL rally/trail ride threads. It will need a paint job, peeling paint like most of them.

Vinny

spicergear

If I do buy a bobbed 5 ton and tag it with antique tags will I need anything other than a class C lic in the state of PA?

Well with bobbing it you get away from the 3 axle commercial law that's floating around. The other issue would be weight. Class C will get you up to 26,000lbs GVWR. 26,001lb and up and you need a commercial license of some sort.

Ha, ha... OR...

Directly from the 'Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Commercial Driver's Manual, section 1-2 top of page:

'Exemptions:
You do not need a CDL to drive military equipment while in military uniform; certain fire emergency equipment owned by a fire company; or recreational vehicles; implements of husbandry; or certain motorized construction equipment.'

Well, fancy that...looks to me that with a set of bona-fide fatigues you have a loophole you can walk though.

There is also a non-commercial higher class license you can get.

spicergear

Oh, so weight it and see where you end up. I've been seeing tractors in the area of 21,000 so you may get lucky and have a bobbed one come in with a couple thousand pounds of that and under the 26,001 keeping you out of CDL territory. One other issue would be brakes. Full air brakes will definitely be a stumbling block if someone wanted to get really picky.

NickAir

A lot of weight is removed from a 5-ton when bobbed. Depending on the model you start with. I have seen them bobbed at 13K#. Near Deuce weight. Licencing is no problem. Just licence as a Jeep Kaiser truck with original year. Insurance, liability only, is reasonable this way.
Advantages:
Turns better
Accellerates better
Brakes better
MPG is better
Hills climb faster, Less weight
Ride is better if done with airbags or rear diff hung on Deuce front springs.
Bigger tires allow higher top speed.
Etc....

NickAir

The real cost / value of a Bobbed 5 ton 809 series.

The value of a bobbed 5 ton is approximately as follows:

M818 (A nice one) appx $6000+ or buy a $2500 truck, work on it and still pay 6K.
Bob job parts/labor $3000-5000
16.00s $300 ea $1500 (5)
HEMTT wheels $1250 (5)

This is just the cost to make a Bobbed 5 ton
outside only paint $750-1500 Now, all the systems need to be gone through and rebuilt as need since the trucks have sat for years.
New fluids:Antifreeze, Differentials x 3, Transfer case, transmission, Engine oil, Fuel system, brake system (2 systems, Air over hydraulic.) Batteries x 4, Brake wheel cylinders, axle seals, Power steering system. All these use fluids. (Fuel injection pumps, wheel cylinders, and wheel seals usually leak, hoses cracked, belts dryed out, all rubber components inspected and replaced as needed.
Filters: Engine Oil, Fuel, Hydraulic, Air.
Balancing the new giant tires. Done at a heavy truck shop.
Add the value of having all this work done @ $4000 to $8000, (some one has to do all this work and get all the parts from around the country.)
If any of this work has not been done, you will have to pay to have it done or do it yourself.

Total realistic cost for a Bobbed 5-Ton w/53's $16,500 - $19,250

You can save money with skipping a spare tire that fits, (not too smart,) painting it yourself, or smaller tires. Nobody needs the 53's, but I have them cuz they ride so nicely and their awesome. I can roll 75 mph down the freeway at top speed. Let's see any Deuce do that! I like Deuces, but 5-TON's Rule the road and off road. 5-ton's also have the brakes, running gear and torque to handle the big tires.

A heavy truck shop can do any work you may need if you don't want to do it yourself. Heavy truck shops are all over the country. Maintenance is easy to do your self. These trucks are bone simple.

Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY!!! YES!!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks