• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Bobsled, Recovery assistance near Berkeley Springs WV

AZK9

When you run those chains do you still air down the tires?
My only experience with chains has been while driving on paved mountain roads in a 4X4 F-150, a 4X4 Ford Sport Trac and a fire brush truck.

That being the case, I'd suggest: If you are going to drive with chains, maintain tire inflation at normal highway pressure
and drive at speeds that do not exceed 30 MPH. So... IMO, do not air down when using chains.

Other folks may have different experiences and opinions, so... it's best to check with tire chain experts ahead of time.
That's how I learned about chain driving on snow and ice. Experts taught me. 8)

Hope that helps... [thumbzup]

WV New Guy

Yes I was very-surprised when Dozer operator drove up and over bank on opposite side. we had discussed chaining the dozer to some trees but it didn't move at all. The guys who helped me out own a whole fleet of MVs for there excavating business . I was there 3/4 heavy equipment recovery since the storm . They have made several recoveries of there own Deuces and 5 Tons off-road themselves .

Ford Mechanic

Dude did he pull you out with a cable? I can't tell just how close your spotter was to it but cable is potentially very dangerous to be around under tension. And no weight bag on it either. That's probably the reason the winch controls are in the cab in our trucks.

Glad you got out and no one was injured though!

my76fj40

Congrats on the safe and speedy recovery! Always helps to have the right equipment. Or at least big equipment... :)