• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton brake fluid change, Dot 3 to Dot 5 critique

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made the mother of all mistakes, and assumed my M817 was filled with Dot 5...it wasn't. So I opened the TM for switching from Dot 3 to Dot 5 (TB 43-0002-87) and followed the steps. As there is nothing more critical in our trucks with a single circuit brake system, I'm asking for any critique of how I did this.

1. Built the Steel Soldier power bleeder (I think Recovery 4x4 has 1st credit on this great set up)

Steel Soldier Power Bleeder.gif

2. Screwed a 1/8" NPT pipe into the Master cylinder vent, attached to the Steel Soldier power bleeder, primed

Bleeder connection.jpg

Master Cylinder Bleed Tube.jpg

3. Bled the Dot 3 out to DOT 5 in the following steps: Master Cylinder, air pack, back right cylinder, back left cylinder, inner right, inner left, front right, front left.

I used a 1/4" I.D. clear tube connected to the bleed valve nipples and noticed a color change relatively quickly. I let the Dot 5 run out until only trace amounts of Dot 3 were visible (closed the valve and opened to check the line a few times on each cylinder). I don't think there is any way using TB 43-0002-87 to get all of the Dot 3 out. I ended up using almost a full gallon of Dot 5 while doing the change over.

Is there any risk of "clotting" with residual Dot 3 in the system? Also, does it make sense to switch out the rubber brake lines to braided steel?

Thank you

Neophyte (and that I am)

Attachments

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be just fine. It has been discussed that a little DOT3 in the system will help keep the moisture from puddling and will keep the seals soft and full size.
The braid reinforced lines will add a little stiffness to the pedal but will not make much difference in the operation of the brakes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to add that after driving the truck a few times and a few heat and cool cycles, do another cursory bleed. You don't need to run a jug through but a second bleed always helps. DOT 5 can entrain air so I always follow up with a second short bleed. Squirt-Truck is spot on and if anyone here understands brake theory and application, he certainly does.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you gents! Anything to do with brakes makes me slow down, double check......then check again. I've even thought about spending the $$$ to switch to air brakes on the M817 (would be a waste vs. going to an M929, but I do love this truck).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks