• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton bridge truck find

Combst32- Thanks for the offer. We are looking for a good condition original M812 that has been uncut. We sold our last M812 to a logger in Arkansas and I kick myself. We did a bit of work to that truck (new rod and main bearings, adjusting all the brakes, new fan bearings, new master cylinder, new belts, new hoses, etc.) The next one I get will be for our collection. I'd really like to dual one up with 1600's.

pyrogod117

Combst32- Thanks for the offer. We are looking for a good condition original M812 that has been uncut. We sold our last M812 to a logger in Arkansas and I kick myself. We did a bit of work to that truck (new rod and main bearings, adjusting all the brakes, new fan bearings, new master cylinder, new belts, new hoses, etc.) The next one I get will be for our collection. I'd really like to dual one up with 1600's.
That would look sick. Please post a log of it when you finally get one. I'd love to see pictures.

roders

M945 picture of one of our bridge layers on the way home
300 km trouble free no leaks, ran perfect with everthing working, now just need to replace rear bridge roller guides as these had been cut (demilled) down to 10.3 from overall width of 11.5 feet.
These are brilliant trucks and very useful despite there size.

Attachments

davesgmc

over width in the rear with duals,,its 114 inches,,put singles on like mine and you are fine. but my front is now too wide, i needto take the spacers out,,,one of these days.

Wrench Wench

derby said:
With singles and the spacers still in it is about 8'-5"
Well, that's convenient, considering overwidth begins at 8' 6".

its over width even without the pallet and don't forget the mirrors.
Protuberances (things that stick out) don't matter as long as they are as they were put on by the manufacturer. As long as you don't change from some dinky little OEM mirrors to some gargantuan after-marker monstrosity, you're good on that. If you changed from one set of mirrors that model had to another set, even if it was larger, I'm pretty sure that would be kosher.

Now, radio antennas that the truck could not possibly have come with as Uncle Sam ordered them, that can earn you a headache.

I had to look up all this stuff in the law when I was trying to figure out all the legalities of using a M814 and a shipping container to build an RV. Max dimensions, in general, are 8'6" wide, 45' long, 13' tall. The tall is etched in stone, or maybe the sides and undersides of overpasses from people who didn't understand overpasses don't care if you were just one inch too tall. The 8'6" limit is hard as far as the main vehicle, but things like antennas, mirrors, lights, etc. are kosher, provided they were put there by the manufacturer. Not sure how that really works if the vehicle is homebrew.