• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton cover on deuce??

big block 88

Okay I'm trying to remember how well the 5 ton covers fit on the duece and a halfs bed. I have done it in the past and I know it worked but I can't remember if it was terrible fitting. If I do intact remember correctly the 5 tin bed is a bit longer and the front bulkhead flap on the cover had to be pulled forward in the truck to make the rear flap fit correctly. Width wise I believe there is a difference also but I had no issues tieing them.

You guys are experts in the 5 tons and I don't want to misinform a buyer of one of my covers. I would hate to tell them "yeah it will definately fit no problem" and be blowing smoke at them.

How well do the 5 ton covers fit on a duece bed? And vise-versa? I would do a test fit on my truck but I already have my bows sold and packed up for another buyer. I'm not planning ahead very well.

runk

Not that well, I've got one.
14ft 5ton bed vs. 12 ft deuce.
Sides seem to be a little longer, but not that a big a deal, you can still use the tie down points.
The ends end up hanging down past the tie down points.
The reinforcement patches also end up in the wrong places for the bows. You can more or less line them up if you fit the cover correctly at the front of the bed, but then the rear is way too long. I am probably going to end up having a upholstery shop shorten it for me. In the meantime, I am still using my patched up old deuce cover.

There is a picture somewhere (I think on here ?) of someone who used a 5-ton cover to make a 1 piece combination bed and cab cover for a deuce !

The 5ton bows do appear to be identical to the drop side deuce bows, there is just one extra. I have some ideas for using the extra bow, where maybe I won't have to shorten the cover, but the simplest try didn't work.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Runk is on the ball with this one. The length is 2ft longer and the tie downs will be off. shortening it is possible (like most things) but it isn't simply trimming it off. The bows and elbows are identical, I just put a set on a deuce and m813 this week.

Gunzy

big block 88, if you are trying to sell a camo 1 piece 5 ton cargo cover PM me, I have interest in a spare for the right price.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a 5 ton cargo cover and had it cut down for my deuce. I had a boat upholstery shop do it. You can't just take if off the end otherwise the tie downs won't line up. I had it shortened, from the front area, the 2' and it all lined up perfectly. I sold it to a fellow SS member down in So. Cal. so he can vouch for it.

big block 88

Thanks all, I did it a few years ago on my duece for winter and it worked but I was in a hurry and couldn't remember how well it fit.

Tha hanks for all the replies fellas. So next question a m923 is even longer then?

goldneagle

Thanks all, I did it a few years ago on my duece for winter and it worked but I was in a hurry and couldn't remember how well it fit.

Tha hanks for all the replies fellas. So next question a m923 is even longer then?
M923 is the standard 14 foot dropside cargo. The M927 is the 5 ton longbed cargo 20 foot long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks