• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton disc brakes

manley

Hey Guys,
I searched and found the info before about using F450 rotors and calipers for a 5ton and now I cant seem to find it again!

Does anyone have any info of this? I have removed all the air brake system front and rear.
I don't really want to go with the pinion brake setup

Any info is greatly appreciated

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the one you got stuuuuuuuuk?
No, dump was not in operation needing a radiator (found one just need to get it here) if it had been I would have winched the wrecker out with it.

Disc brakes are great on the bigger trucks. I notice a major difference in stopping distance when driving similar trucks with each system. I see why you would want them on a monster.

jasonjc

A few of are school buses have the newer air disc brakes, they will stop before you think about it. They are the only way to go.

manley

Thanks guys for the info and links. Gearheart has a kit but its $1950 for the front and $1550 for the rear! Looking at the pics on his site the part number on the calipers are f450 calipers.
I have found that a Ford f700 rotor has the 10 hole 11 1/4 bolt pattern. So they would fit the wheel end of the hub.May have to drill the holes a little bigger to match the lug size.

M-1028

If it's for an off road toy, I'd go pinion brakes. Cheap and work great. All of the huge mud trucks usually use same set up and seems to work great. Modern monster trucks use pinion brakes also.

mattwspeed

AGREED... M-1028 is right.. if its a mud truck and not going on the road pinion brakes will stop you on a dime and save you time and money! Takes less effort as well since the braking power is multiplied through the axle gears to the tires. Not street legal but that's what we use on our rock crawlers and believe me.. have on a seat belt when mashing hard on the fat pedal... she's gonna stop!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks