• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton dump dilemma - Title/CDL

akexc

So it looks like I may have outsmarted myself. I may have not done enough research prior to purchasing an M51A2 recently.

From what I saw here, it looked like I did not need a CDL in KS. However, I think I was seeing threads for M35s. KS appears to require a CDL for anything with a GVWR over 26K.

Not a huge issue by itself, however, it appears I also need to re-title this in 30 days. State's penalty to do so seems to be small if I read it right. Not sure about the county yet.

So I can't title it till I can drive it to the inspection station. I can't drive it there without a CDL, and I'll need to drive it for the test for my CDL. Classic Catch-22.

It looks to me like I'm going to have to find another vehicle that is currently legal in KS to use for the CDL test, and I'm going to have to find someone who has a CDL to get it and me there so I can do that. Then I'll be able to drive mine in for the inspection. And technically, I only have 18 days left to get this done.

So if there is someone from KS who has been through this who can tell me I'm right or wrong, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks.

ida34

Look further. I am willing to bet you do not need a CDL unless you are using the truck to make money. If you have a link to the law post it.

akexc

From this site:

http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/cdlsec1.pdf

"You must have a CDL to operate:
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds
if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is
26,001 pounds or more."

I can find no exception anywhere for non-commercial usage. I did find another related site that is not an official KS site that specifies that KS requires anyone driving an RV over the weight limit must have a CDL.

I'd love to find a KS resident that can tell me I'm wrong.​

FreightTrain

Banned
Too bad you don't live in bama.I can drive a 2009 Peterbilt 389 with a 53foot van without a CDL if I wanted to legally....All cause the following exception....

Individuals ....operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non business purposes.

This is how I am gonna get around driving a 34,000lbs M543A2 here in bama on a standard drivers license.......I am gonna have to lie to get a tag though since our vintage vehicles only go up to 26,000lbs unless it is a fire truck.

Last edited:

FreightTrain

Banned
Does a M51A2 have a Curb weight of less than 26,001Lbs?If so then you are exempt if you register it as a historic/Vintage/Antique vehicle.Normally if they are registered like that then you cannot haul anything period....so GVW by law would be the actual curb weight of the vehicle with full load a fuel and 2 passengers.

Remember,am a dirt track racer.My job it to skate around the rules through grey areas and loopholes.

Last edited:

FreightTrain

Banned
From what I just found in a search,Curb weight is actually just short of 22,000lbs so I will say your safe and even can carry just over 2 tons in the bed.

desertfox

akexe,
Yes, the curb weight is less than the GVW of 26000# plus. My local DMV gal worked with me on my M51A2 therefore got a tag under the 26000# threshold. Even tho I hold a CDL she was able to reduce the cost of the tag considerably.

akexc

akexe,
Yes, the curb weight is less than the GVW of 26000# plus. My local DMV gal worked with me on my M51A2 therefore got a tag under the 26000# threshold. Even tho I hold a CDL she was able to reduce the cost of the tag considerably.
I don't think that will work in Kansas. Everything I read says gross vehicle weight, not curb. In that case, we're talking 42000 lbs for an M51A2.

I've talked with a couple of HP officers today. While it appears I do not need a CDL, I will need a class "B" endorsement on my regular license. DMV is not open today, but I believe that means essentially the same thing to me. I will need to take this truck in for a driving test to get that endorsement.

Back to the Catch-22.

powerhouseduece

Wow and I thought Maryland sucked! I had a 88' F350 regular cab 4wd, and on my title It said GVW 10000lbs. that made my insurence go up. I went to go get some top soil and they filled the bed as much as possible and the scale said 8750lbs. now when I tagged my deuce as historic on my title it says N/A for the gvw. You cant get it tagged historic?

ida34

The link posted above is from the CDL manual. Do not use this as a reference. When they make the manuals they take legalize and bring it down to an easily understood language. Most assume that the person looking at the manual is a commercial operator in the first place. Look for the actual law as it pertains to driver's licenses. Most states have an exception section which covers recreational and personal use vehicles along with farm exceptions.

motorolanut

I titled my M813A1 in Wv for #25990 lbs to avoid the CDL issue, but I still put Class B plates on it though......if you don't exceed 26000, I would not worry about it.....

You can always say Farm use only...LOL

akexc

Well, the DMV opened today, and they confirmed what I've been told by the HP. In Kansas, it is the GVWR that matters.

On an M51A2, that is 42K lbs. You need either a non-cmmercial or commercial class B license.

Antique is not valid for that high a usage.

Looks like I'll need to go take a test.

akexc

Update for anyone in KS who might be interested.

If you keep asking questions, you may get the answer you want. Don't actually know how the law reads, but the county registered this truck for me as a 48K lb farm vehicle.

As a farm vehicle, I can drive it on a standard KS driver's license.

Now we'll just have to see what happens when I drive it. With this much confusion everywhere, I'm not very confident.

We'll see.

jwaller

farm tags exist in almost every state. and there are some restrictions you must follow while using them. read them.

now what you have gone thru is what most of us can get by with and make ourselves feel better. BUT remember the DOT cop that pulls you over is not going to like picking thru the regs to find what it is your telling him about how you have done what it is your doing.

he is going to write you a stack of tickets (very expensive tickets) and it's going to cost you a lot of your time and quite possibly a lot of your money to try and convince a judge otherwise.

my suggestion is to enjoy your victory for a few days and plan on getting the proper license and tags before you find the wrong DOT cop that is having a bad day.

akexc

I guess my explanation wasn't clear. According to the county, licensing this truck on a farm tag for 48000 lbs is legal. I have the tag. According to the state DL regs, and the HP inspector at the DMV, it is legal to drive a farm vehicle at this weight with a regular DL.

My only "victory" was wading through all the misinformation from people that didn't know the law.

I could certainly have someone in LE pull me over and not understand the rules. I've seen enough of that already. However, I have printed the KS DL regs showing the exception for a farm vehicle, and it's tagged with the proper weight. He could take exception with the county treasurers office, but at that point, I believe I would have a pretty good case with a judge, if it went that far.

Near as I can tell, I'm legal, and have no intention of needing a Class B license.

BEASTMASTER

if the truck hasn't been reg before ,no one knows what the gvw is. just tell you're ins co. you want it at 25k lds or 24k lds what ever you want. just keep it away from the 26k lds. you can put the gross at 100k and no one will say anything because they charge you $ 15 a thousand lds up here in ma.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks