• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton dump rebuild parts?

akexc

So, if I find a 5 ton dump, what am I up against if I need to replace/rebuild parts?

In general, how tough is it going to be to fix up?

Are there specific areas on the vehicle that are easy or hard? Engine, tranny, etc.

Will everything have to be found from salvage?

I don't mind having to do the work, just don't want to spend months trying to find parts if something isn't working.

Thanks.

citizensoldier

What model you after? M817 parts are out there but will cost you.. M52's will be a little harder. One thing that seems to be short are good running LDS-465-1A motors.. I think they both share the same dump box.. Fenders and sheetmetal should be easy for either model.. Now 900 series you will have some issues.. Hope this helps..

akexc

Still just looking and trying to get info. I am going to look at what I think is an M51A2 tomorrow.

Will know more then.

Primarily concerned at this point with functionality. Needs to run, drive, and dump. I want to initially use it as a work vehicle for some projects I have.

Over time, I would be interested in "restoring" it. At least making it better.

If I have to spend all my time trying to keep it functional, I'm not sure it really makes sense.

Not planning on trying to use it every day, more like every month.

wdbtchr

I haven't had any problems on my M51A2 getting parts. I usually shop around for the best price first, but you can get pretty much anything from Memphis Equipment the next day. Common parts from them are usually competitive with others in my experience. I recently broke the PTO gear on mine hauling too big of loads of gravel. A new gear still packed in parrafin in original wrappings was $239 plus next day shipping. They even told me something I didn't know from the manual, you need a thick gasket or two regular gaskets on the flange mount for proper gear lash. I found mine had been mounted with RTV gasket maker, that may have been why it broke in the first place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks