• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Fever?

OD_Coyote

All this reading about 5 tons is pushing me over the edge. If I could find a decent 5 ton tractor in my area, I would buy it and put a deuce bed on it.
I have looked at a 2 trucks that were for sale by private parties, but they were in very poor shape.

dburt

Alex at www.idahomotorpool.com is going to take one of his 5-ton tractors and put a deuce bed on it, and big super singles in place of the stock 11.00X20's. When he gets it done, it will be posted on his website. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. The only thing it will be missing is a winch.

wingnut24

Alex at www.idahomotorpool.com is going to take one of his 5-ton tractors and put a deuce bed on it, and big super singles in place of the stock 11.00X20's. When he gets it done, it will be posted on his website. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. The only thing it will be missing is a winch.

this is why i've been wanting one. i'va got 5-ton fevor! i was thinking the same setup as alex. just trying to find the right one. i'm planning on stopping by alexes next thanksgiving (this time not on a saturday) mon-fri he's got some nice rigs out in the field. i had to drive slow and drool from the highway.

kaiser2help

Cant say enough about my M54 5 ton. reminds me of my first auto car tractor I drove. My 71 DK series wth a 425 CAT. A deuce is great if you dont mind a Oversized pickup truck. 5 tons and up are great heavy trucks. The deuce is field proven, BUUUUUUUTTTTTTT. The 5 ton is the real deal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep one 5 ton brake drum out in the weeds just for this reason. Every time i start getting the urge to own another 5 ton, I go move the brake drum to another location. Moving that sucker changes my mind every time. I'll stick with the little trucks until I can afford to have a mechanic on staff.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come on now guys! It was hard enough to convince my wife to let me buy my first Deuce, now it looks like Ive got to do it all over again.....;-)
Stick the deuce real good, I mean really stuck. Show here the $2500 recovery bill and explain that the 5 ton could do the same thing and once recovered, the 5 ton can be sold and an incredible profit! If she forgets the resale part, you are good, or she remembers, list it on EBay for $10,000. If it sells buy her something nice and buy you another one, if it doesn't sell, you still have a 5 ton.

hole

stick the deuce real good, i mean really stuck. Show here the $2500 recovery bill and explain that the 5 ton could do the same thing and once recovered, the 5 ton can be sold and an incredible profit! If she forgets the resale part, you are good, or she remembers, list it on ebay for $10,000. If it sells buy her something nice and buy you another one, if it doesn't sell, you still have a 5 ton.
brilliant!!!!

HeadWizard

Stick the deuce real good, I mean really stuck. Show here the $2500 recovery bill and explain that the 5 ton could do the same thing and once recovered, the 5 ton can be sold and an incredible profit! If she forgets the resale part, you are good, or she remembers, list it on EBay for $10,000. If it sells buy her something nice and buy you another one, if it doesn't sell, you still have a 5 ton.
So is that how I should explain that there's not just one 5 ton parked at my in-laws, but actually two more hiding in other locations?

I suppose since I can only drive one at a time, maybe she'll never realize there's 3 of them? "No honey, you must be mistaken - the 5 ton didn't have a winch and cargo cover...."

rockman

Same with me as the 5 tons have great appeal both in looks and costs. Getting a tractor for less than $5K is unreal. I am limited by space and having a 5 ton would be tough. Maybe when I retire.

TenTires

Come on now guys! It was hard enough to convince my wife to let me buy my first Deuce, now it looks like Ive got to do it all over again.....;-)
So is that how I should explain that there's not just one 5 ton parked at my in-laws, but actually two more hiding in other locations?

I suppose since I can only drive one at a time, maybe she'll never realize there's 3 of them? "No honey, you must be mistaken - the 5 ton didn't have a winch and cargo cover...."
Incredible! Im so glad to see that there's guys on this site that think just like me!!:-D

dburt

Went over to IdahoMotorPool today, and Frank has the 813 tractor on it's new tall super singles, the 5th wheel plate is off, and the deuce dropside bed is ready to go on. He has been held up somewhat by the very cold nasty weather we have been having, but he said when it warms back up into the high 20's he will hit the project again. I can tell you this, someone is going to need a step stool or ladder just to get up to the running board to get in this thing! Will get pics when it is ready to go.

wsucougarx

Luckily the CDL thing is keeping me from considering a 5 ton. My wife would probably agree as well, but I sure wouldn't mind it esp. w/the power steering:)

MilitaryRestoration

hehe I sold IdahoMotorPool those tires ;-) and it's not bad... will be same height as my 818 in avatar... first couple of times stepping out of it is the catch... catches you off if you are used to the stock height hehe