• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton front springs on bobbed deuce?

ASTFU

I know i read somewhere on this forum i could use 5 ton springs for a bobbed deuce. I can get a complete set for 200.00 springs shackels and shock mounts,just wondering if it would work.I plan on adding 10 inches to the driveshaft also. thanks for advice and comments ,Thom

wdbtchr

I don't know about on a deuce, but I was planning on using 5 ton front springs on the back of a bobbed 5 ton if I decide to bob it. I was considering using deuce springs on the front to soften the ride but I haven't decided yet. I have a spare set of deuce springs is why I was thinking of that. Any thoughts? This ought to be interesting.

MilitaryRestoration

buddy of ours who always likes to bob his deuces always uses deuce front spring packs, however never thought about using 5ton i'll have to mention it to him...if it would work, would be nice as far as extra payload but wouldn't it sit the rear higher than the front?...??

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I doubt the deuce spring pacs on a 5ton would work. I have heard many people say the deuce front suspention is close to maxed out when a truck has a winch on the front. Lets see what others bring to the table.

Jakob

This is an interesting topic. I have a winch truck and the springs are flat, maybe even concave on the front. If 5ton springs will fit our truck, I wonder if those would be too stiff or tall to run as fronts?
If someone has a set of both, off of the truck, getting an eye-eye and arch height measurement would be a good start.

miltruckman

Thom,

I am currently working on bobbing a deuce and am planning to use a set of 5 ton front springs for the rear.

I had the same thought that it would provide some extra payload capacity.

The only problem I see is that a duece rear axle is 3 1/2 inches square and a 5 ton axle 5 inches square.

I made up a set of steel spacer blocks to fill in this difference in spacing.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Bill
Michigan

Pappa-G

I would like to bob my 5 ton. From what I ahve seen written here I'll be needing some 5 ton front springs.:roll: They should be easy to find.:roll:

jwaller

I'm sure it would work but have you considered how it will ride? I mean you might as well just bolt the axle to the frame with as little weight your going to have on it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure it would work but have you considered how it will ride? I mean you might as well just bolt the axle to the frame with as little weight your going to have on it.
Thats what I am thinking. If you caught my avatar that was 6 rolls of hay at around 700lb apiece and the truck drove like a dream. I ran across a RR crossing faster than I thought and was ready for something bad but it loved it.
As for the front springs being over with a winch I don't believe it.
As for 5 ton on the front or rear I would not do it as I like my eye teeth.

m.walker

I helped do a 5 ton bob and we used 2 1/2 ton front spring packs . We have 14x20's and we have an issue with spring wrap to deal with . I would say on a 5 ton , 5 ton spring packs would be better . I don't know about the deuce .

nridr124

need them

i live in nh and talked to the same guy dont have his number i have a duce and a 5 ton gonna bob the 5 ton but dont have his number anylonger he was in northen me anychance you could give me his number i know he had a few trucks he cut and had for sale on ebay but i looked on c l and ebay cant find him let me know thanks and if anyone is intersted i have 10 1100 r20 tires on rims about 8 off rims 2 1400 r20s like 85% and i will have 4 extra 1600 r 20s ater bobed i have 8 total thanks

NickAir

Bobbed 5 ton can use deuce springs for the rear axle, so I have heard. I know a guy that claims he did this to soften the ride on a 5 ton bobber.

spicergear

I probably have one of the heavier deuce trucks on the site with 20K Garwood nested in front, V8 CAT, and mid mounted M977 crane. I've scaled the truck at 18,000lbs with 8 on the front and 10 on the rear. I changed front wheels and tires over to A3 wheels with 40" Conti's to up the front tire rating. Front springs are flat...maybe 1.5" from bump stops. Truck acts fine...just heavy. You really need to ask, how much am I really going to get in the bed of this bobbed 5 ton? If you're in love with the five ton spring idea, *maybe* you could get away with pulling a leave to lighten the rate of the spring pack. I know guys have done that on other vehicles with success.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks