• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton HELP!!!

bubba_got_you

5 ton HELP!!!
The truck is sitting on the side of the road dead.
[FONT=&quot]It was running great then it acted like it ran out of fuel. The bleed screw on the bottom of the fuel filter housing is not leaking if it is opened. It the filter clogged so bad it wont run?? HELP [/FONT]

SixSpeed

Banned
Where are you at Bubba?

+1 on Multi or Cummins...

EDIT: Did it die suddently, or sputter? Any details on that would be helpful.

Last edited:

bubba_got_you

it would run strong then bog down then run strong then it died and now it wont start. i tried opening the screw and cranking it but still nothing. i am just east of 75 on I4 just past the weight station

pcblakeley

I would swap the fuel filters, that seems to be the cheapest solution to the problem....

I know this seems silly, but are you sure that you are full of fuel?.....I have had that happen to me.....I swore it was full....It wasn't though.

hopefully your insurance has a towing provision....or a SS member is nearby with a wrecker....

bubba_got_you

I would swap the fuel filters, that seems to be the cheapest solution to the problem....

I know this seems silly, but are you sure that you are full of fuel?.....I have had that happen to me.....I swore it was full....It wasn't though.

hopefully your insurance has a towing provision....or a SS member is nearby with a wrecker....
well ill get it going one way or another ill take lots of pix and the tanks are full and 1/4 full so it has fuel i think there is a leak in one of the fuel lines and now i have lost prime

pcblakeley

well, I would still get new fuel filters, unless you just changed them. then you can work through the prime and that way you have eliminated the clogged filter idea.

check that switch that decided the tank, I have read that it might be troublesome.

I would get under the hood and give it a really good serious look over, I have found some obvious problems with vehicles by doing this. once I had a charging problem that I gave up on and then I found a single wire that was the culprit....

from the sounds of it you are having a fuel starvation issue.....that is a sort of easy road to go down and it has a few cheap options that hopefully work out well and get the green iron back down the road.

pcblakeley

not sure if yours is the same as mine but I can hear a fuel pump running with the power on before I start the truck.,....might not be on yours...mine is a M54A2 from 66....

bassetdeuce

Change filters, and fill up the can with fresh diesel. Reinstall the can and tighten it good, being careful to preserve the gaskets (can and little bolt o-ring). Use the small lever on the floor to change to the other tank, since the dash tank switch just switches the guage to read one tank or the other. Push the primer handle in and out twice and it should fire up after some cranking. Get some diesel into that other tank ASAP. If it runs out of prime again, then the leak is from the selector switch forward. M818 owner here.

FM5332FF

I wish I could help, But im on duty now. My 5 Ton will be home thursday. Good luck man, If you still need help tomorrow I can run up that way. Just give me a call 239 340 4407.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
not sure if yours is the same as mine but I can hear a fuel pump running with the power on before I start the truck.,....might not be on yours...mine is a M54A2 from 66....
the cummins doesn't use an in-tank fuel pump. it pulls fuel instead of pushes.

derby

There is no in tank fuel pump on the Cummins powerd trucks. I would get some more fuel in those tanks. the fuel gauge could be off and you are sucking air. are you getting any pressure on the hand primer? also as mentioned above check your fuel selector for air/fuel leaks.

OldGoat

Napa carries the fuel filter. The part number is on this site. There is also a small filter on top of the injection pump, it has a little flat head screw on top. You can take it out & check to see if this filter is clogged. It's pretty small & looks like a metal strainer. Like mentioned in the post above, prime it with the inside handle on the dash, the bleed off for it is next to the glow plug towards the firewall. Just turn the petcock & pump it until straight diesel is coming out. Have someone tighten the petcock & not allow any air (kinda like bleeding brakes).

bubba_got_you

thanks everyone for the help!
it was a hole in the soft line from the pass side fuel tank so it sucked air and lost prime i popped the fuel filter and that is new (it was just replaced) and filled it with diesel and switched tank's and it took some cranking but it started. thanks to vinny for phone help with trouble shooting (and was right) and thanks to Walter for on sight lights and tools and a place to park it for the night.

kc5mzd

Glad you got it going.
You might think about getting a air hose for airing up your tires that can connect to your glad-hands on the back of the truck. Next time it seems to run out of fuel you can use it to pressurize the fuel tanks. This will cause a bad hose to leak and help prime your filters.