• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Inner Seal Removal

ke5eua

I bought it at a garage sale for 5 bucks, if your attachments screw on, try fabricating something.
I'm going to brainstorm tomorrow. Defiantly going to get a 5lbs slide for it as that little 2.5 felt like a joke.

I do have an attachment similar to the one you showed, I'll try that.

I swear this truck is going to force me to start drinking.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me check my yard for some axle shafts. Not that they are bad but would be nice to upgrade to the newer cross style joints.

ke5eua

Alright, got it out. Went ant bought the tool from napa that lasted 2 mins.

First try bent the long nose, second took out a rivet.

Took my small crowbar that I kept on the truck, got it in the washer, put my 10 foot pole on it and gave it a tug. Bent the pole, moved up closer and pushed down and bam, washer out, seal out. I don't know if I'm getting my crowbar back, lol

Tomorrow everything will go in. I'll take the wire wheel to it and clean it up good. Now just to reassemble the axle joint.

IMG_1239.jpgIMG_1240.jpgIMG_1242.jpgIMG_1243.jpgIMG_1244.jpg

ke5eua

Went to install the new inner seal and it will not seat in. Used a seal driver kit and all I managed to do was destroy two brand new seals.

Start pressing the seal in straight and it goes crooked and bends the casing.

I don't know what to do anymore, I officially give up on this.

Truck is about 5 second from meeting it's maker.

ke5eua

I just ordered two new complete assemblies from boyce equipment, now I just have to get the rest of the inner seal carrier out. I'll try freezing it, but time is running thin on this.

ke5eua

Don't give up. I looked and I don't have any newer style axles at the yard.
I got the axle back together so it'll work for now.

Right now I'm taking the grinding wheel to everything that has been setting out and painting them. Tomorrow or Monday I'm going to start disassembling the passenger side and try the long pole idea to get the seal carrier out then grind and repaint everything for the passenger side.

Goal is to have everything prepped so when the seal assemblies get in I can freeze them, put them in and be done with the front finally.

Drained the diff today and it was nasty. Once I get the other side off I'm going to flush it out.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, got it out. Went ant bought the tool from napa that lasted 2 mins.

First try bent the long nose, second took out a rivet.

Took my small crowbar that I kept on the truck, got it in the washer, put my 10 foot pole on it and gave it a tug. Bent the pole, moved up closer and pushed down and bam, washer out, seal out. I don't know if I'm getting my crowbar back, lol

Tomorrow everything will go in. I'll take the wire wheel to it and clean it up good. Now just to reassemble the axle joint.

View attachment 510078View attachment 510079View attachment 510080View attachment 510081View attachment 510082
That seal still looks good, I think you can reuse it. :)