• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LA 5 ton Insurance not parked in garage

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted on a separate gulfway thread that they are switching to Haggerty.

My dilemma is traveler's is getting out of the market and not writing new policies. Haggerty and Chubbs won't touch me as I am parked in a driveway not garage/carport.

I would appreciate any leads on who you are using for 5 tons in La?

I do have state farm for my hmmwv. I have not tried them yet but remember they balked at the weight when I first got it and wanted to quote me strictly commercial.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's surprising to hear about CHUBB. I specifically went with them because they did not have a garaging requirement. I had both my 923 and deuce with them. I suppose it could be a state specific issue. If the property crime rates are higher in your zip code they may deem inside storage required.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am with Progressive and classified as a commercial vehicle for private use. Keep calling around until you have someone who does the leg work to understand this is coverage which the company provides. I had to go through a handful (5 or 6) agents before someone was truly interested in taking my money.

No restrictions. When the camper gets built and added, it can be added separately as a rider (as they do for utility bodies on pickups, for example). Very reasonable with a clean record.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am with Progressive and classified as a commercial vehicle for private use. Keep calling around until you have someone who does the leg work to understand this is coverage which the company provides. I had to go through a handful (5 or 6) agents before someone was truly interested in taking my money.

No restrictions. When the camper gets built and added, it can be added separately as a rider (as they do for utility bodies on pickups, for example). Very reasonable with a clean record.
Thanks for the feedback. I got a quote from progressive commercial that knocked my socks off. Basically 4 times what travelers had cost.
Seems Louisiana is a high risk problem and the gvwr even for limited use costs big $. I knew It was going to be sky high when the first thing mentioned in the verbal quote is payment plans......

Form a Utah LLC and register the vehicle in Utah. No tax.

Friend of mine has this with his truck here in Baton Rouge and he’s a lawyer.

Expedition Imports said told me when I visited him last year if I bought a Unimog from him that he would meet me at the California border and I would show up with my Utah LLC.

My 1965 Unimog 404 Radio Truck which is a 5 Ton is registered through Hagerty, $180 a year.

Parked in my driveway. Garage? Maybe a carport thats tall enough.

Insurance is Louisana is a scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I switched a few months ago over to Hagerty. They simply ask about the garage thing, not a requirement. They were a little more expensive than my previously super cheap insurance under AMIG. But they went off their rockers when I added the ferret to the policy making all sorts of demands, even so much as cancelling the coverage on the ferret without me knowing. Also I was way underinsured on my vehicles. I now pay $750 a year for all my MVs with unlimited use. And the HMMWV and Ferret are well insured.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting as my denial letter clearly states no coverage due to garage.

State farm does my hmmwv as a classic and picked up my m923. Cost me $60 more than gulfway.

Ok with everything as they do my homeowner, flood, and cars so I feel my agent will continue to make me happy as a 30 year customer along with some of my family.

Sonny@56

I’m new to this I’ve bought a 923a2 and looking for insurance I already called State Farm and they referred me to hagerty insurance and I live Kenner Louisiana I was hoping i could park it in my driveway but I do have a place to put it in a locked yard I would like some information since I live in Louisian?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! I am in Metairie if you need anything

Many have haggerty even though they dont have a garage from what other members have posted. I know I was asked and that was the basis of my denial.

State farm picked me up. I am a 25 year customer with house, flood, multiple vehicles and my humvee as an antique. Not sure if that made a difference?

Progressive commercial did give me a quote that was outrageous .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks