• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton locking hubs - pics of disassembly

wehring

Tonight I disassembled two different types of 5 ton locking hubs. AVM and Warn. In the pictures the AVM hub is on the left and the Warn is on the right. I took side-by-side shots of like parts between the two hubs so you can see the internal differences.

The Warn hubs were produced in two variants; the early hubs had nylon bushings and the later hubs had bronze bushings. This set has nylon bushings but I will have a set of AlBronze bushings made to replace them. The AVM hubs have brass bushings. This can be seen in the second picture.

Hope this helps.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Where in the He!! did you find them, finding one type is like the finding the JEEP IN THE CRATE, finding both types is like finding the JEEP as it is being built BEFORE it was put in the CRATE

Bolkbich

hey justin the weakest part of those hubs is the sleeve in the center, where the axle ends. it cracked right off clean. the warn sleeve looks just as thin as the avm in that section . do you think you could have a sleeve made. ive had the avm hubs for 17 years and have been just plain midevil on the truck at points (loaded dragging the running boards with 1600's) and havent had any other issues. they've always locked and unlocked smoothly. i was backing up a steep pile of dirt loaded using alot(!!!!!) of throttle so the front axle was pushing most of the load when it broke. thanks ted

Trango

Great pics.

As a bit of a sidebar, has there ever been a coordinated effort to produce 5 ton hubs?

Materials-wise, they should be not that much different from 2.5T hubs, and we know that the majority of the work is in the setup and machining.

Best,
Bob

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The difference between a deuce with air shift and the 5t is the sprag, if hubs are used on a 5t (or sprag deuce), the sprag will think the rears are spinning and ENGAGE the front wheel drive, spinning the r/p and the axles, the way around this for a 5t is to install the air cutoff/dump MWO, this will put the sparg in netural, there are MANY threads on the MWO

wehring

Mk23

OK Mr I have a Mk23 and you don't. [thumbzup]

I will be in Yuma AZ for most of the summer with work. If you want to talk seriously about selling it I can drop by one weekend.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks