• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton loose steering, swims a bit on highway

hardtime

My 814 wanders a bit down the highway. no leaks in system and equal tire pres. I had an old Ford that wandered the same way, I was able to adjust the set screw on the gear box and tighten her up a bit. Does the 5-ton have the same adj. and what else should i check? Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The rod from the pitman arm to the steering knuckle has an adjustment. Pull the cotter pin and screw in the "plug". Then put cotter pin back in. There is one on both sides of connecting rod.

jimmcld

Yes, the 800 series trucks have an adjustment on the stearing gear similiar to the one on your old Ford. There is a procedure for adjusting it in the TM.

gimpyrobb

Ehh, leave it a little loose. You will not have it super tight, that would be bad. You can see if that is what needs adjustment by having someone turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly and watching how much the pitman arm moves before the connecting rod moves. Make sence?

gimpyrobb

I didn't know about the adjusting nut on the gearbox itself, might look for that. The only time I had trouble with the steering wandering, adjusting the connecting rod fixed it.

vtdeucedriver

Ok.............am lost................what is the type 1 "Monster" for power steering??? What is type 2?? Trying to figure out which. I have the Rossi power steering In both my M52 and M54 and they both wander more compared to a deuce. A deuce, you can definatly relax behind the wheel to where the 5 ton, you need to stay on top of it. I am wondering if that is what he has discovered. My steering is ok to everyone else who has drove a 5 ton and has told me that its the nature of the beast. I wont comment on what my 5 ton wrecker has but its SWEEEEEETTTTT!!!

gimpyrobb

I think the type 1 has the ram on the steering shaft and the type 2 uses the hydraulic box on the driver's side and hydraulic ram on the passenger side.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the steering gear box bolts(through the frame), they do get loose and cause wandering.