• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton owner...finally

Steelreaper80

My son has been pricing all the fluids, filters and we will add the bearings to be repacked in with the work we are looking to do in very short order. Thanks for the advice on that, definitely don't want to learn lessons the hard way if it can be avoided.
It is a pain to pull the bearings and repack them but worth it. You will need the 2 axle nut sockets. Use either blue marine grease or red n Tacky. There are videos on YouTube to walk you through it.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you’re changing the oil get a kiddie pool and be ready for some pressure. I lined up two 5 gallon buckets and when I pulled the plug it shot over both of them and marked its territory all over my driveway. My wife is still angry about the stain but I smile everytime I see it.

@Goliath P. Jones, that is a great looking truck. Congratulations! Bringing home a new truck is always exciting!
Its been a long time wish list item for sure. The real joy of it is seeing my both sons being excited to drive it, granted rightfully so they were both nervous and intimidated by the thought of the first time behind the wheel of it. But both did very good at it, they took the time to listen and understand what I was telling them, mirrors are your friend, plan your turns, give yourself distance between the vehicles around you, know your stopping distance. All common sense things to any vehicle operation, just so much more so in a 22k pound beast. I've driven many very large box trucks and moving trucks in and around heavy traffic, I have been letting them cut their teeth out on the farm roads around our home.

Ajax MD

This thread will help you with your steering axle work:

The thread contains information on the size of the spindle nut sockets, how to safely and easily remove the seals in the brake drums, and all sorts of good stuff. Nearly all of the info contained in the thread is applicable to M39, M809 and M939 series 5-ton trucks with slight differences for the M939 trucks.

If you are lucky enough that your front axle tube seals have not started leaking, one good way to keep them from leaking is to ensure that the axle tube vent is breathing properly. You want it to vent excess air pressure during hot drives. Many people remove them and install barbed nipples and then run some vent tubing to a high point in the engine compartment.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
When you’re changing the oil get a kiddie pool and be ready for some pressure. I lined up two 5 gallon buckets and when I pulled the plug it shot over both of them and marked its territory all over my driveway. My wife is still angry about the stain but I smile everytime I see it.
good old "kittie litter We used to call it) is an oil only absorbant. It is baked Georgia clay granulated. Just put a small amount, like feeding the chickens, and scuff it in, oil be gone, sweep it up. Harmless stuff

absorbant

We used to use it in 50 pound bags, there is many different flavors.

fasttruck

Read the reading: operators' manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book, and lubrication order. Do you know where the transmission dip stick is and what fluid is in it ? I recall OE10 or Dextron were authorized but one or the other, no mixing. The air tanks need to be drained if they were numbered 1-4 top to bottom the correct sequence to drain them is 3.4.1. and 2. Pubs are available on the TM section on this site. Read them and be guided accordingly. Grease is cheap. Parts cost money.

Read the reading: operators' manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book, and lubrication order. Do you know where the transmission dip stick is and what fluid is in it ? I recall OE10 or Dextron were authorized but one or the other, no mixing. The air tanks need to be drained if they were numbered 1-4 top to bottom the correct sequence to drain them is 3.4.1. and 2. Pubs are available on the TM section on this site. Read them and be guided accordingly. Grease is cheap. Parts cost money.
That's very sound advice. From what I can gather, parts not only cost, but they are generally very large, heavy and well torqued on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks