• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton Questions

FXR1969

Ok bare with me trying to learn a few things, looking to try to get a 5 ton (cargo). Best I can tell m923 m939 are they all the same w/minor differences ??
any certain years or models to stay away from?
Is there certain place to look that explains all this!! Maybe lists the difference ?
Just don't know the first thing about these other than I have the I got to have one bug!
Thanks

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M939 = generic term for all trucks in the series.

M923 - basic cargo truck.

M925 = M923+ winch

M927 = extended wheelbase cargo truck

M928 = M927+ winch

M929 - dump truck. Built on a shorter wheelbase than the standard cargo truck.

M930 = M929 + winch

M931 - truck tractor. Shares a wheelbase with the dumptrucks.

M932 = M931 + winch

M936 - wrecker

This isn't all inclusive.

Suffixes:

A0 - frequently used to refer to base 939series trucks. This is not a real term.

A1 - first revision level. In this case it means addition of super singles and a wider spare carrier.

A2 - second revision level. In this case it means super singles, CTIS, and the 8.3 liter turbodiesel.

Base level trucks have 855 cummins engines and 11.00R20 tires. A1 is the same engine.

People new to the hobby always seem to gravitate to the A2s. Their assumption is that revisions are *improvements*. Revisions are *changes*, which may or may not be improvements. I've had a bunch of these trucks in all configurations. Note that my keeper truck is an A0...

Artisan

snip a bunch of GREAT input;

I've had a bunch of these trucks in all configurations. Note that my keeper truck is an A0...
I concure. The A0 is a real meat and potatoes series.
No CTIS to deal with that frequently breaks. The CTIS
has a BIG cool factor but.... old school works, well. Plus
the old Cummins 855 is hard to beat...

74M35A2

Additional data is A2's get 10mpg and fly 67mph stock. A1's and first gen get 4mpg. First gen won't reach 67mph in stock form.

Guess which one I have...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Additional data is A2's get 10mpg and fly 67mph stock. A1's and first gen get 4mpg. First gen won't reach 67mph in stock form.

Guess which one I have...
My experience with A0 and A1 is 5-6mpg even when fully loaded and towing another fully loaded one.

I've gotten between 7-12mpg on A2's.

56mph is the happy place for A0s. A1 and A2 will both go 65+, but the tires are not rated for it.

A2's have a pronounced advantage towing heavy in hilly terrain, and also a pronounced advantage in MPG.

If you're selecting your vehicle based on MPG, may I direct your attention to the Prius...

:)

It's all good. They're all good. You can't beat any of them in terms of cost/fun ratio...

tobyS

You haven't said what you want to do with it. Like, do you need short turn radius for city streets?

FXR1969

Maybe a parade or 2!
as far as MPG not worried seems like everything I got gets bad MPG !
Not worri d about turning radius! Just go over, ain't that how it works
Leaning towards a winch truck,cause you never know!

74M35A2

Will also depend on how much cash he has or wants to shake loose. The series are typically increased in price according to revision level.

Though I have seen it before, that was a nice chart 98 took time to pound out (even though I say buy an A2 if you can stretch your dollars to grab one!).

74M35A2

If you don't plan to take it off-road, then you can save considerable money and pass on a winch. If you do plan to take it off road, and another 5T has a winch, you don't need a winch. If you plan to take it off road, and your truck is the largest stuck truck, you may inherit a rental bulldozer delivery and usage bill to recover your ride.

FXR1969

The chart helps a lot, no serious off-roading planed but it will see a little !
one reason is I have to nephews 6-8 that love guns and atvs
And huge trucks !!
I love being that uncle!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And by the way the Ctis is great to have and have no idea why everyone seems scared of it.
Like I said I have two and my buddy has two and Ctis works on all four. It just takes a little time to understand the system.
If I go across my soggy yard full air up it tears my yard up if I air down to sand I barely leave a mark.

tobyS

The winch has something else, a PTO and hydraulics for auxiliary equipment, like a dump lift, crane or plow.

Batteries...whatever you get, if it comes from the government, plan on buying new batteries.

Here are a few I sold. First 2 are A1's and that's an (83) M817 Dump. All three have the Cummins 250. The M923's have Allison auto and the M817 has a Spicer 5 speed.

Are you thinking to buy direct or from a dealer?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks