• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton questions

rizzo

how does the mack engine compare to the cummins?

my friend is looking at one in a cargo and wants to convert it to a tractor.I told him he should just buy a tractor instead of converting a cargo. Opinions???

anyone know of a 5 ton tractor for sale?

jh1990

To be honest, I'd convert, but thats probably because I enjoy projects, plus if he's going to keep the wb the same that would be a fairly long tractor, which would be kinda cool to see with a flatbed. Plus a good Mack motor should be a good hauler. But again thats just my $0.02, hope every thing works out with which ever one your friend chooses Rizzo.

westfolk

Converting isn't bad. I have done four of them, 2 1/2 ton trucks, two M135's, and two M35's. Other than the wiring and air connections the only thing was shortening the end of the frame so it clears the trailer. When doing that keep in mind what trailers it will be pulling and over what terrain. Depending on the neck of the trailer you may have to shorten it more than what you'd think. Such as when the truck is going over a break while the trailer is still level. If you stay straight you could pull it off, but if you start to turn while in that position you can tear things up. I learned the hard way the first time I did one.

beetle

Help. A guy called me yesterday with a 1962 M51 for sale. He tells me it is in good condition & has a winch.It was an ex forestry truck he bought & now doesn't want anymore. Price is 3 thousand dollars. I'm going to look at it tomorrow.I need to know where to look for potential problems. I'm familiar with the deuce multi-fuel but not with the gas engine this one has. Mileage is 24,000. Thanks in advance. Beetle

m.walker

Gasser 5 tons are good motors as long as you got oil pressure , your not running hot and your charging , test drive it and see how it does . That's a pretty good price , dump trucks and wreckers seem to bring the most money !The only thing that seems to pop up a lot on 5 tons I've looked at are the air pak clogging up ( not hard to fix ) and the solenoid for the air horns shorting out .