• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton recovery gone horribly horribly right!

rory1919

I won an M923a2 w/o winch from Indianapolis a couple weeks ago. It was listed as running but who knows, right.

Passenger front tire was flat in pics but full in video.

I went with with supplies a plenty and two back up towing plans. Also with a couple friends to call in case of emergency.

Started right up and the ctis had already inflated the tire when he moved the truck this morning.

135 miles. 3 hours ith a rest area stop to check progress.

The he ctis lights were normal at first but midway through the trip they started flashing.

Has an extra tire, cargo cover, tire tool and in the back was a pile of extra troop seat and bow pieces and a ladder.

Better yet, a half tank of good fuel!

Was totally thrilled that I was able to drive it home.

Pics to follow tomorrow when I'm on a computer instead of my phone.

rory1919

Gimpy, LA this weekend the South America right after so sadly no Haspin.

The two front tires are Goodyear and the rear 4 and spare are Michelin. I'd like to find replacements for the front so they all match.

Artisan

I might suggest that I "think" Goodyears are rated at about 65MPH Max.
So they might be better for the steer axle. Having said this, and knowing how
"cool" Michelin XL's are, I run Goodyears in front on the steer axle and
Michelin XL's on the rear axles...

Right or wrong, it is food for thought.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How about the Ga rally? You can't have an excuse every time I ask!

No pics of said "new truck"? You suck!

Artisan

I "think" Michelins are rated for 55 MPH or so and THAT is why I would
rather have Goodyear's up front and the cool Michelin XL's in the back...

Personal Preference...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No way in HE11 I would run a tire that sat flat on the steer axle NO MATTER WHAT.

Your asking to hurt yourself and anyone else on the road near you.

FloridaAKM

Rory, now you have a Deuce & a 5 ton; plus others fun stuff. You got bit by the Green Iron Disease bad didn't you. Congratulations on the new truck & successful recovery to home.

Let's see, your missing Knob Creek & the Georgia Rally to go to South America, got to be job related. Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

rory1919

I won't use the tapatalk thing on my phone so the photos were delayed until now.
1.jpg

3.jpg
Scary to think that I paid less than what the sales tax would have been for an original purchase. auction closed under $3600!
2.jpg
extras in the back. didn't know anything was there until i got home.

4.jpg6.jpg
couple engine shots

Here is the Wifey Approval. Shes excited to take it in to work if it snows too much for her honda fit.

7.jpg8.jpg

rory1919

I appreciate the info and had planned on changing it out or at minimum having a tire shop do a full inspection.

that said,
how do any of you know that the rest of your tired were not stored or driven flat at some point and then just reinflated?
so aren't we all taking this risk just by purchasing a used vehicle that no matter what has a questionable service record

r

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate the info and had planned on changing it out or at minimum having a tire shop do a full inspection.

that said,
how do any of you know that the rest of your tired were not stored or driven flat at some point and then just reinflated?
so aren't we all taking this risk just by purchasing a used vehicle that no matter what has a questionable service record

r
Good point!, but he knows that tire sat for a while after the video was made and had been flat - flat = bad!

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might suggest that I "think" Goodyears are rated at about 65MPH Max.
So they might be better for the steer axle. Having said this, and knowing how
"cool" Michelin XL's are, I run Goodyears in front on the steer axle and
Michelin XL's on the rear axles...

Right or wrong, it is food for thought.

http://www.militarytires.com/

Look at the max speed for the tires duno about the Goodyear's max speed I need to check that tomorrow. and Mich Xls are junk DONT USE EM they blow side walls way to much.... GOODYEARS AT2A's or MICH XZL's are the best tiers for 5 tons..