• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Reg in Maryland

marsman

All,

I would like to get a 5 ton but after reading the oh so understandable Maryland DMV page, I am a little confused about if I can reg a 5 ton as a historic if it is over 25 years old and if so what model? Can I reg a M931 or a M925? Can I mod or bob down the road if I feel like it? Any one with any painful MD DMV experiences, please help! aua

Thanks,

Andya

USMC4302

That info is out of date. Thanks to the efforts of the Maryland Motor Truck Association, the American Truck Historical Society and SEMA, that legislation was defeated. Doesn't mean they won't try again some day so we need to stay vigilant. Also, we need to be sure we aren't making it hard on ourselves by abusing the tags. I plan on switching my truck over to Farm tags in the Spring so I can do my hauling with it.

Here's the info:

Maryland Bill to Restrict Eligibility for Historic Vehicle Registration Amended to Satisfy Hobbyist Concerns | Specialty Equipment Market Association

To cut to the chase, you *can* register the truck, as long as it meets the eligibility for "historic." I recently registered my '71 M817 with no issues. As always, don't provide anymore information than they ask for. Also, the service you get from Maryland DMV varies with the location, the agent working with you, the phase of the moon and ... etc, etc. If they give you trouble, wait a day and try it again, or go to a different DMV -- some offices are better than others.

If you make it easy for them, it goes better -- I walked in with all my forms (downloaded from the DMV site) filled out and walked out with my tags.

Good Luck!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
this has been a few years, but it looks like the laws are the same now as then. i registered my 5 ton m-757 with no problem and even the serial number was strange, 0023, as it was the 23rd vehicle built. the registration had N/A for everything, weight, size, type of brakes, all were irrelevant to them. it even had old style wedge brakes and they did not care. no inspection, no weigh stations, nothing.

romanservices

I had no issues with my 86 m923 last 9/01/2012. I used the MVA in Glen Burnie, its over 25 years old so i was safe. Make sure you dont lie about anything... god forbid anything bad happens you dont want to have the extra troubles.

hemijosh426

I just registered my M923a1 as Historic, had no issues. I use Gulfway Insurers, really nice people to deal with. Im going to take the truck up to the MVA in bel air to get my CDL soon. There is a 0 GVW on historic vehicles, so anything under 26k and not being used commercially should not need a CDL, But im gonna get it anyway.

Scarecrow1

There is much great advice from these guys but , the best people to ask are those employed by the DMV . If you have any problems then post them and I am sure other Maryland guys and gals will be glad to tell you how they worked through theirs .....Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks