• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton repower plans

jollygreen6x6

Alright, I have decided that in the (possibly)not to distant future, I would like to go with a different motor in my five ton. This would go with several other modifications, such as 52 inch tires, wrecker boom, 5th wheel hitch, 5-ton winch, snowplow, and possibly a custom powered trailer. Granted, the 602 is a beast of a motor, it's just that it is really slow, and I want to make a hellacious work truck here. Aside from the other plans, I want to replace the transfer case with a non-sprag type, install a tranny with several more gears, and find the biggest, baddest detroit diesel I can bolt to the frame. I'm serious about this one. I refuse less than 12 cylinders. I don't give a rats behind about the body, that can get sorted out later. The idea of a 2500 horsepower V-16 sounds like a plan. If I'm going to put this much work into this truck, I want the most grossly overpowered motor I can get my grubby mitts on...Now, all I need to do is catch a nice inheritance or win the lottery...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you want a fifth wheel , a crane, and a winch, why dont you start with a m819 tractor wrecker. its got the long hood for the 250, almost any moter will fit

Dieselsmoke

Found me a DT466 with allison auto I might snatch up pretty cheap. Would be pretty sweet to throw in one of these rigs.

rdixiemiller

Remember, these trucks were set up for long, narrow engines. V types can be made to fit, but steering issues crop up. A 6-71 with a 13 speed would be about right. Spicergear put a 3208 cat in his, I believe he offset the motor about an inch to barely clear the steering.

jollygreen6x6

Wow, isn't that convinient. I just located a FREE 13 speed from my cousin. Neato. He is in the scrapping buisness, collects alot of stuff. I'm a little late talking to him. He just scrapped 3 complete detroits about 2 months ago. DARN. I'll tell him to keep his eyes open. Really looking to get something besides the sprag type case.